Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Wizzair - should I risk it?

12 replies

creativelady22 · 14/06/2022 19:35

Was due to travel to Mykonos with friends this Saturday - was all planned 3 years ago and delayed by COVID.

Due to unfortunate covid rescheduling, I am at a concert at the 02 on Friday night staying overnight and it's a special concert with amazing tickets that I cant and don't want to miss. So I cant make the original flight early Sat am.

One of my flight options to get out and join my friends is Wizzair from Gatwick.... it's insanely cheap and having looked at the flight history its not been the victim of recent cancellations. My only experience with Wizzair was a flight I booked last year which got cancelled so I am nervous. I don't want to get stuck with no flight in London on Saturday night - other options are Easyjet from Gatwick or train to Southampton with BA but the price for Wizzair all in is £84, Easyjet £270 and BA £300 (factoring in trains and hotels as I'd have to fly the other 2 Sunday morning).

Has anyone had any experience with Wizzair?? Should I risk it?

OP posts:
Please
or

AquaticSewingMachine · 14/06/2022 19:36

I just flew with them, no issues. How would they even survive as an airline if they're as flaky as you seem to think?

It's no-frills flying for sure but generally the plane goes where it's supposed to.

Please
or

ForAFriend123 · 14/06/2022 22:18

We're booked with Wizz Air in July. I'm praying it will be ok as their reputation is terrible Confused

Please
or

RAINSh0wers · 14/06/2022 22:24

We flew with them to Majorca in half term, all went fine, slight delay on the way home but that was down to Palma airport being chaos, not them.

If you need to check in bags, I’d recommend getting wizz priority, there was a big queue at Palma but we just went straight to front as had priority as part of our ticket (we booked late so the cheap tickets were all sold out).

Please
or

Springandsummerarecoming · 14/06/2022 22:34

We are going to Majorca in august with them. Hoping it will be ok.

Please
or

lemonsaretheonlyfruit · 15/06/2022 06:12

I flew with them to palma at half term. There were so many cancellations of easyJet and Ryan air flights but We had nothing more than a half hour delay either way. I really think it seems to be pot luck. I had been feeling apprehensive too but it turned out fine.

Please
or

PAFMO · 15/06/2022 06:15

I've been thinking of booking WizzAir as an insurance standby as I've flights booked with easyJet and BA over the summer and I'm watching through my fingers.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 15/06/2022 18:28

if its insanely cheap I would book and hope for the best.
I had a positive experience with them flying back from Poland at christmas eve once when every other airline was cancelled. But it was years ago.
That said I was sat next to a lady coming back from Faro the other day who had had her wizzair flight home cancelled. They provided a cheap hotel but the next flight home was in a week! She ended up paying through the nose to come home the following day on jet 2.

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 15/06/2022 18:29

ps meant to say I don't think they are any more of less flaky than other options atm. With possible exception of Jet 2. See if they have a flight? They have had lots of heavy delays - been watching closely - but hardly any complete cancellations.

Please
or

KittyMcKitty · 15/06/2022 18:31

We flew to Split with them pre Covid and they were fab.

Please
or

HipsterCoffeeShop · 15/06/2022 18:32

Make sure you book a return as your original return flight will be cancelled if you don't get on the outwards portion.

Please
or

Runnerduck34 · 15/06/2022 18:33

We've flown with wizzair to Athens a few times, they've been good, same as easyjet really.

We are risking Ryanair in August so hope all the airlines get their acts together.

Must be a pretty special concert to change a holiday for it!

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 15/06/2022 18:48

HipsterCoffeeShop · 15/06/2022 18:32

Make sure you book a return as your original return flight will be cancelled if you don't get on the outwards portion.

if you speak to your outbound airline you might be able to avoid this. If it’s Easyjet you won’t have a problem as technically they sell one ways not return tickets. But def don’t assume!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?