Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Quickest way to replace lost passport

7 replies

017HF · 07/06/2022 19:14

After (foolishly) booking a holiday for the end of June before I had received my 2 sons’ new passports, I cancelled said holiday - lo and behold the new passports are now here after a lot of stress! In the meantime my partner has somehow lost his passport in our house (he only renewed it a couple of months ago), we’ve searched literally everywhere and can’t find the thing - unsure if one of the kids has binned it by accident, who knows but we can’t find it. I’ve been refreshing the one week fast track appointment page on the passport office website but have yet to see an available appointment - did read somewhere that the system is done. Is there any way for him to get a new passport without having to apply in the normal way? I can’t move my holidays so we can either go abroad (potentially, pending passports) at the end of June/start of July or not at all.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck recently getting a passport quickly?

OP posts:
Please
or

017HF · 07/06/2022 19:15

*down, not done!

OP posts:
Please
or

Prollynot · 07/06/2022 19:25

If you call them they may be able to tell you when new appointments get released. Also if you are travelling for urgent family visit e.g. a (seriously) ill relative, then you can apply on compassionate grounds and they'll process it quickly.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 07/06/2022 19:37

This is from a different thread:

IwillrunIwillfly · 02/06/2022 09:26

Theres a fantastic twitter been set up called

"Tweets when a UK gov passport service is online"

If you follow it and turn on notifications you'll get a message when the fast track service comes online with new appointments. The last few days fast track appointments have been realieased around 1600 and go quickly. The online appointment slots seem to be coming out quite early in the day.

You need to pay when you book your appointment so make sure you have your bank card handy.

Good luck!

Please
or

017HF · 07/06/2022 19:40

@dementedpixie I’ve just checked this out, and followed. Thanks so much for this! Really helpful 😀

OP posts:
Please
or

017HF · 07/06/2022 19:42

@Prollynot I tried to call to ask about one of my sons’ applications as it had taken >10 weeks and couldn’t get through for days so I don’t have much faith in calling! Fortunately not any family illness or reason to apply on compassionate grounds, just a mum in desperate need of a holiday!

OP posts:
Please
or

Billytv · 08/07/2022 06:15

@017HF Did you have any luck? I’m annoyingly in the same predicament, got 3 weeks to sort but can’t get an appointment. Hope you’re on holiday now!

Please
or

017HF · 08/07/2022 13:39

@Billytv we ended up cancelling our holiday and did a UK break instead. I was finding it too stressful, and didn’t want to lose the money for our holiday if we couldn’t get an appointment. I did start following the Twitter page mentioned above to have a look for an appointment and it was really good - I just turned on tweet notifications for the page then went on the link as soon as it was available! Hope you manage to get sorted!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?