Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Forest Holidays - Forest of Dean

6 replies

Nadal · 06/06/2022 10:30

Thinking of booking Forest Holidays - probably the Forest of Dean one. I have seen really mixed reviews. Anyone with any recent experience in terms of activities, cost and standard of the lodge? They are quite expensive!!

Thanks.

OP posts:
Please
or

CalmerChamaeleon · 06/06/2022 10:34

I went last year and was really disappointed. The lodge was quite tired and not particularly clean. Worst of all, the bed was so hard I might as well have been sleeping on the floor. It was more expensive than I'd normally pay and we expected the luxury break their website promised. It is in a beautiful area and the site itself is lovely but we won't be returning.

Please
or

Nadal · 06/06/2022 11:40

That is poor for the cost they are charging isn't it. I might look for some alternatives in the area.

OP posts:
Please
or

Thewayshetalks · 06/06/2022 11:44

I went last year, absolutely hated it, we left after 2 nights, accommodation was terrible, it was not cheap either.

Please
or

Nootkah · 06/06/2022 21:02

Whitemead in the forest of dean is nice

Please
or

EddieVeddersfoxymop · 06/06/2022 21:21

Not the one where you're planning a stay, but we did a forest holiday break at the end of.last year and were quite disappointed.

We'd been there before so kind of thought we knew what we were getting, but the accommodation was shabby, grubby, uncomfortable and most definitely not a luxury break.

The hot tub chemicals were wrong (we think) as my poor DH had a dreadful skin reaction after being in it.

The sofas were threadbare and the worst things I've ever plonked my arse on - so hard.

It's a shame as the woodland settings are really lovely and as I say, we've been a few time. But probably not again after the last trip (and seeing how much they've put the prices up!)

Please
or

HatTheRat · 08/06/2022 15:08

Agree with PPs. We’ve not stayed at the Forest of Dean site, but have stayed at Blackwood Forest twice. I felt the accommodation was expensive and not very well maintained (and we had a Golden Oak Treehouse, so meant to be more luxurious), and the on-site activities were poorly-run and overpriced.

if you’re looking for alternatives in the Forest of Dean, it’s worth looking at Forest Barn Holidays. We stayed in one of the cottages with a private hot tub and it was lovely

www.forestbarnholidays.co.uk

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?