Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Evening visit to Kuala Lumpur from airport hotel?

15 replies

MojoJojo71 · 05/06/2022 19:11

I am visiting family in Australia in a few weeks and on the way back we fly from Brisbane into Kuala Lumpur at 4 pm and the flight back to London isn’t until 9:50 am the following morning. I was planning to book a room in a hotel at the airport but was wondering whether it would be worthwhile trying to see some of the city that evening. Does anyone have any experience of Kuala Lumpur that could advise? It would just be me and nine-year-old DD

OP posts:
Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 05/06/2022 21:06

Why don't you stay in KLCC instead? You could get a hotel room (such as Traders) with a view of the Petronas Towers and enjoy the symphony lake light show and grab some dinner nearby (tons of places at the shopping mall across the park). It's all within easy walking distance so minimal time/effort required and it'd be a nice way to spend your evening.

Please
or

Mindgone · 07/06/2022 10:47

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental a few years ago and it was one of the nicest hotels ever, and wasn’t too crazy expensive either. A dip in the pool there after a long flight would be perfect!

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 07/06/2022 10:53

Mindgone · 07/06/2022 10:47

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental a few years ago and it was one of the nicest hotels ever, and wasn’t too crazy expensive either. A dip in the pool there after a long flight would be perfect!

Ooh I enjoyed watching the show about this hotel with whatsherface and the smugger Giles. Lovely looking hotel!!

Please
or

VaVaVoombangabang · 07/06/2022 12:00

So options are

Arrive in KL at 4pm, get out the airport drive to city get there maybe around 5.30ish stay overnight. (about £20 + car more for a hotel car)

If you decided to stay in KL say Traders, it would take about 50-60 mins to get to the airport, (its about 56 kms from the city dependant on traffic) your flight is 9.50 so check in 3 hours before, so looking at 7am, so you would have to leave for the airport about
6am.

You can also get the train the KLIA express to KL Sentral from the airport which is quicker but you would then have to get to your hotel (and all your luggage) by taxi from the station but more convenient to get a taxi. But there are hotels around the station but you will still have to get to say the Towers etc from there. Hilton/Le Meridian and the like are in the area.

There are trains running up until 11pm to get you back to the airport hotel if you decide to stay there and the Sama Sama hotel (with others) is right next to the hotel (landside). The golf buggy will take you back forth to the airport.

Suppose it depends as well on how tired you are after your incoming flight, you may just want to crash at the airport have dinner use the pool/spa etc. Travelling with your DD she may be shattered (or not!!!) and of course the additional cost and your budget for accommodation both in KL and the airport.

If you need any more in info just shout, I lived in KL so know the city.

Please
or

Mindgone · 07/06/2022 15:00

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 07/06/2022 10:53

Ooh I enjoyed watching the show about this hotel with whatsherface and the smugger Giles. Lovely looking hotel!!

I haven’t seen the show, where could I find it please?
OP, we got the train from and to the airport and found it very straightforward, and used a taxi app, I think it’s called Grab, all went smoothly, have fun 😊

Please
or

MojoJojo71 · 07/06/2022 18:21

thanks everyone. I’ve seen a nice airport hotel which is not too expensive. They have a pool so we could just chill in the hotel. I emailed them and they said they could get us a car and driver for a few hours to show us a few of the sights. The quoted RM550 for 5 hours which I believe is about £100. I’m going to have a think, I really want to see the city rather than just transit through but DD might prefer chilling by the pool. we had a stopover in Amsterdam recently and I booked a lovely cana cruise but she complained it was ‘just more travelling’ lol

www.google.co.uk/travel/hotels/sama%20sama%20klia/entity/CgoIj-vI28mDpOR8EAE?q=sama%20sama%20klia&g2lb=2502548%2C2503771%2C2503781%2C4258168%2C4284970%2C4306835%2C4649665%2C4722900%2C4723331%2C4741665%2C4757164%2C4758493%2C4762561%2C4779392%2C4786153%2C4786958%2C4787110%2C4790335&hl=en-GB&gl=uk&ssta=1&rp=EI_ryNvJg6TkfBCP68jbyYOk5Hw4AkAASAHAAQKaAgIIAA&ictx=1&ved=0CAAQ5JsGahcKEwjYgPDT7Jv4AhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQCg&utm_campaign=sharing&utm_medium=link&utm_source=htls&ts=CAESABogCgIaABIaEhQKBwjmDxAGGBMSBwjmDxAGGBQYATICEAAqCQoFOgNHQlAaAA

OP posts:
Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 07/06/2022 18:36

Mindgone · 07/06/2022 15:00

I haven’t seen the show, where could I find it please?
OP, we got the train from and to the airport and found it very straightforward, and used a taxi app, I think it’s called Grab, all went smoothly, have fun 😊

Iplayer. I think it's "worlds greatest hotels" or something along those lines.

Please
or

Mindgone · 07/06/2022 23:05

I’ll look out for it, thanks 😊

Please
or

kikiterrific · 08/06/2022 01:43

I go to KL twice a year and Traders is my go to hotel. Stay there. Walk to the shopping mall through the garden, go up the tower, see the light show, have sone good then go back for a sleep.

On a side note, Traders has one of the best hotel breakfasts around.

Please
or

Karatema · 08/06/2022 02:19

Following as in KLA next month.

Please
or

MojoJojo71 · 09/06/2022 22:10

Malaysian airlines have now cancelled one of my flights so I’m glad I hadn’t booked a hotel yet. They want to rebook me on a flight 3 days earlier which means a shorter trip to Australia 😞. It’s the Brisbane to KL that been cancelled though so I’m waiting to hear if they’ll let me leave Brisbane 3 days earlier but keep my KL to London flight from before which will mean 3 nights in KL instead of one. If they say yes I’m booking the Mandarin I think, it’s not too expensive and looks fab.

OP posts:
Please
or

MojoJojo71 · 09/06/2022 22:11

@Mindgone did you use the hotel airport transport? If so can you remember how expensive it was please?

OP posts:
Please
or

Mindgone · 10/06/2022 00:48

We used public transport. I’m sure if you contact the hotel, they’d be very helpful with any information you need.
I don’t know how to post a link, but the “wonderful Malaysia” website looks very helpful.

Please
or

TheMousePipes · 10/06/2022 21:38

You could stay at one of the hotels over the top of KL Sentral station. The Hilton is there, as is Le Meridian and the St. Regis is very close too. That way you could just get the KLIA ekspres into the city and use the sky train to get around. Both are super convenient. Traders and MO are great hotels too, also consider the Grand Hyatt. KL is one of my favourite places, have fun!

Please
or

kikiterrific · 12/06/2022 17:50

MojoJojo71 · 09/06/2022 22:10

Malaysian airlines have now cancelled one of my flights so I’m glad I hadn’t booked a hotel yet. They want to rebook me on a flight 3 days earlier which means a shorter trip to Australia 😞. It’s the Brisbane to KL that been cancelled though so I’m waiting to hear if they’ll let me leave Brisbane 3 days earlier but keep my KL to London flight from before which will mean 3 nights in KL instead of one. If they say yes I’m booking the Mandarin I think, it’s not too expensive and looks fab.

The Mandarin Oriental is superb. And it's next to the KLCC park which I love.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?