Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Air bnb owner wants double!!

26 replies

Cornishqween · 31/05/2022 20:25

Can anyone help - we’ve been let down by an unscrupulous air B&b owner who has just emailed to say she wants an additional £4560 or she will cancel our summer holiday due to costing issues at the time of our booking.

We have complained about it to air bnb as now we've booked activities locally and hired a car, but there is not much availability left anywhere else. she’s now cancelled our break because we complained and we have to wait up to 15 business days to get back the £3k we’ve already paid.

Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay for 3 adults and 4 children in the Hampshire area? Kids are ages 6,9,10 & 13. We really wanted somewhere with a hot tub and lots for the kids to do as two of them have had a terrible year and we were treating them to a nice family holiday after their parents split. We can spend up to £4K ish

Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

ssd · 31/05/2022 20:41

Good lord

Please
or

rnsaslkih · 31/05/2022 20:41

couldn't you just stay in a hotel for that money?

Please
or

Whatever00 · 31/05/2022 20:43

When are you going and for how long?

Please
or

G0forit · 31/05/2022 20:44

That’s really poor of the owner of the Airbnb. I had a quick look on one site and found this for 23/7 for 7 days. It’s under £2,500 for the week and has a hot tub. www.holidaycottages.co.uk/cottage/86796-wishing-well-cottage-at-hillview?n=7

Please
or

Laska2Meryls · 31/05/2022 20:45

tapnellfarm.com/stay/toms-eco-lodge
Toms Eco Lodge Isle of Wight ?

Please
or

Spaghag · 31/05/2022 20:47

I wouldn't touch Air BnB with a barge pole.

With a 4k budget there should be plenty of options. When are you travelling & for how long?

Please
or

A580Hojas · 31/05/2022 20:49

So the price of your 1 week holiday went up from £3,000 to £7,560?

??

??

Host sounds utterly deluded and probably should be prosecuted. Hope you get it sorted OP.

Please
or

Whatever00 · 31/05/2022 20:49

www.wallopswoodcottages.co.uk/cottages/skeldale-2/

This looks good. Has a hot tub. It's available and £2 1/2 k

Please
or
Please
or

SquishyGloopyBum · 31/05/2022 22:00

Escalate this with Airbnb- they aren't allowed to do that and it won't be taken kindly by them.

I'm an Airbnb host and it gives the site a bad name but they should come down on this.

I'd be asking them to compensate for your activities too.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 31/05/2022 22:21

AirBNB was meant to be site for renting out spare rooms - it's got way above itself and can't cope. I would never use them. And why have you paid already for the summer?

Please
or

Ninspeedles · 01/06/2022 19:00

I know it's not exactly what you asked but centre parcs is in Longleat which is close to a lot of things to or ( safari, Stonehenge)

And of course you have all the activities on site to partake in. We stayed in a lodge with a hot tub one year and a sauna the next year!

Within budget too

Please
or

TabithaTittlemouse · 01/06/2022 19:03

Bloody hell! Is it a palace?

Please
or

Acunningruse · 04/06/2022 10:17

Forest Holidays- Blackwood forest has a 3 bed lodge with hot tub for £3675school holidays 29th-5th Aug

www.forestholidays.co.uk/booking/cabins/?l=91ee8989c3be43778b7448887adcc062&d=7&sd=2022%2F07%2F29

Please
or

motogirl · 04/06/2022 10:19

What dates

Please
or

Acunningruse · 04/06/2022 10:20

Does it have to be Hampshire? Your money would go further in Northumberland/Scotland although weather may not be guaranteed though you could say that of anywhere in the UK

Please
or

motogirl · 04/06/2022 10:22

How about a hotel, lots of options in your budget and it includes breakfast

Please
or

Acunningruse · 04/06/2022 10:23

Shorefield holiday park have a superior lodge with hot tub

Please
or

TomAllenWife · 04/06/2022 10:44

£3k for a week in Hampshire 😱😱 why??

Please
or

Blaggertyjibbet · 04/06/2022 14:20

I hate Airbnb and refuse to use them these days. If we want self catering, we use booking.com.

As an aside… 3k for a week in Hampshire?! Why not go somewhere a bit… well… nicer?

Please
or

Hatinafield · 04/06/2022 14:24

You’ve paid three grand for a week in Hampshire?? And she wanted to change it to £7650, am I understanding you right? The first amount was shocking enough to me, the second one leaves me speechless!

Show us the listing!!

Please
or

nomistake · 04/06/2022 14:36

You know you can go abroad for that right? Hampshire for 3k. That's insane.

Tappnell farm is nice though if you must spend that on unpredictable weather.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 05/06/2022 08:30

Acunningruse · 04/06/2022 10:20

Does it have to be Hampshire? Your money would go further in Northumberland/Scotland although weather may not be guaranteed though you could say that of anywhere in the UK

The OP says they've booked activities and hired a car, so it sounds like it needs to be Hampshire, or at least a lot closer than Northumberland/Scotland.

But I'm another one who is totally baffled as to why it costs so much to stay in Hampshire that someone thinks £3k isn't enough for a week and suddenly demands another £4.5k.

You could try booking.com and definitely pay by credit card or at least a deposit using a card, as you'd then get extra protection and it might also help with cashflow while you're waiting for a refund from CF AirBnb woman.

Please
or

Ninspeedles · 05/06/2022 11:29

nomistake · 04/06/2022 14:36

You know you can go abroad for that right? Hampshire for 3k. That's insane.

Tappnell farm is nice though if you must spend that on unpredictable weather.

Maybe not the 7 people though. I was looking abroad for just 3 of us and it was hitting the 3.5k mark. I imagine 7 people with flights etc would be quite a lot.

I agree though, it's a lot of money for unpredictable weather, even as lovely as Hampshire is ( I live here!)

Please
or

chezANIArental · 05/06/2022 22:24

Follow up with AirBNB all the way.

Also whenever you book via a site, try your own search online of the owners/accommodation/profile to check they have plausible history. I do same before accepting reservations to save later hassle!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?