Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Choose your seat BA

29 replies

StrawberriesAndCream123 · 31/05/2022 13:56

I'm sure I've asked similar In the past but like most others it's been a while since my last Holiday and I can't quite remember!

Just booked a long haul package via Thomas Cook with BA flights. No option given to choose seating at time of booking. I've been on BA to manage my booking and it states i can choose at no charge at check in. I'm sure I was in a similar position 3 years ago, I was going to log in bang on check in opening to select. However a week or so before the seating plan popped up on the BA app and I was able to choose (yes and pay). I can't see a way online that I can pre book the seats with payment at present, is it normal that the seating plan becomes available close to check In so that passengers blink first and pay?

TIA

OP posts:
Please
or

RyanAirVeteran · 31/05/2022 14:01

No idea, we fly club and choose our seats at the time of booking.

Please
or

Sqeebling · 31/05/2022 14:01

I thought Thomas Cook had gone bust

Please
or

Sqeebling · 31/05/2022 14:03

Often the booking of seats comes up nearer to the flight. I used to pay extra to have that option. So you pay extra to chooses your seat but can not choose it till they open up the booking system closer to the flight date

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 14:04

Sqeebling · 31/05/2022 14:01

I thought Thomas Cook had gone bust

It did but was taken I er and now is an online travel agency only. Still atol and abta protected.

Please
or

Polkadotties · 31/05/2022 14:07

I booked my honeymoon months ago for a date next year and was able to choose my seats straight away. Flights were booked directly through BA

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 14:07

Sqeebling · 31/05/2022 14:03

Often the booking of seats comes up nearer to the flight. I used to pay extra to have that option. So you pay extra to chooses your seat but can not choose it till they open up the booking system closer to the flight date

Yes, that's what I think I remember... There was no option at time of booking but a week or so before checkin I was then able to choose and pay. If left until check in you choose whats left at no charge.

There just isn't any explanation for this anywhere online 🤷🏼‍♀️

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 14:09

Polkadotties · 31/05/2022 14:07

I booked my honeymoon months ago for a date next year and was able to choose my seats straight away. Flights were booked directly through BA

I didn't get this option, just standard seats. I didn't get the option when I booked with TUI the last time I did this flight (also BA) .

Please
or

Whammyyammy · 31/05/2022 14:31

I think with ba you can only choose seat 24hrs before departure, unless you're a bronze member or higher. I'm bronze at the mo and can choose 7 days from departure. But stopped using BA and switched to AA

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 14:55

I think with ba you can only choose seat 24hrs before departure, unless you're a bronze member or higher. I'm bronze at the mo and can choose 7 days from departure. But stopped using BA and switched to AA

Possibly, things may have changed since my last flight 3 years ago. But even that time I was on the understanding that I had to log on at check in and choose then, however I was given the choice to 'pay' around a week or so earlier even though there had been no indication I could do so.

Not overly worried, would like the family to sit together and intend to log in as soon after check in opens as possible. Just wondered if anyone knew if I'd get the choice to pay beforehand.

Please
or

123rd · 31/05/2022 15:05

We are in the same position. It's frustrating. Booked via TUI flights are BA. we want to pay to sit together but that doesn't seem to be an option.
24 hrs before the flight just fees to risky. It's a long haul flight. Does anyone know if they have a rule about under 18 siting with a parent etc ?
It is stressing me out slightly

Please
or

Tequilamockinbird · 31/05/2022 15:08

If you'd booked directly with BA, you can choose seats straight away. Booking through a third party travel agent, you usually can't choose seats until you've paid the balance off and the travel agent has ticketed the flights. They may not ticket them until very close to departure.

Please
or

Polkadotties · 31/05/2022 15:17

That would make sense, I am silver

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 31/05/2022 15:30

thats strange, i can go into my BA booking that was booked thru air canada and pay for seats for a flight end of june or wait to check in for free

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 18:12

Tequilamockinbird · 31/05/2022 15:08

If you'd booked directly with BA, you can choose seats straight away. Booking through a third party travel agent, you usually can't choose seats until you've paid the balance off and the travel agent has ticketed the flights. They may not ticket them until very close to departure.

Actually I think this is most likely right, I've only paid my initial deposit so I'm going to guess I'll eventually see the option.

Now do I sit firm and wait for my 'free' options or waiver and guarantee them for a hefty sum? 🤔

Also hoping flights are able to run better by October!

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 18:13

chipsandpeas · 31/05/2022 15:30

thats strange, i can go into my BA booking that was booked thru air canada and pay for seats for a flight end of june or wait to check in for free

Have you paid in full? I've only paid 1st deposit so far.

Please
or

EileenGC · 31/05/2022 19:54

123rd · 31/05/2022 15:05

We are in the same position. It's frustrating. Booked via TUI flights are BA. we want to pay to sit together but that doesn't seem to be an option.
24 hrs before the flight just fees to risky. It's a long haul flight. Does anyone know if they have a rule about under 18 siting with a parent etc ?
It is stressing me out slightly

By law they only have to sit under 12s with a parent. That could be directly next to an adult, or on the row in front, behind, or across an aisle. So not guaranteed you'd end up together, and very unlikely for over 12s.

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 31/05/2022 19:58

HappyGoDucky · 31/05/2022 18:13

Have you paid in full? I've only paid 1st deposit so far.

yeah all paid in full, the not paid in full makes a lot of sense

Please
or

Bayleaf25 · 31/05/2022 22:54

We’ve paid in full but still can’t choose seats until 24hours before unless we pay. If anyone knows a way round this please let us know. Thanks

Please
or

123rd · 31/05/2022 23:06

Ours is fully paid up too. Annoying isn't it? And do we have to worry about checking in 24 hrs before the return flight?

Please
or

HappyGoDucky · 01/06/2022 09:37

Bayleaf25 · 31/05/2022 22:54

We’ve paid in full but still can’t choose seats until 24hours before unless we pay. If anyone knows a way round this please let us know. Thanks

I don't think there is a way round choosing your 'free' seating selection before check in. You have to pay if you want to guarantee them now. From what I can make out as ive only paid deposit with a third party not BA directly (understandable now actually) I won't get choice to pay for seating until full payment is received.

Please
or

123rd · 08/06/2022 13:20

Just an update if anyone needs to know...eventually got a reply from BA( I was expecting a delay. I understand they are all very busy)
BA said TUI had to 'to ticket the booking '
After two hours on hold to Tui we have asked that they do this. The person I spoke to said they can do that for us. It can take up to 48 hrs to reflect on BA website.
So I will check back in a few days but fingers crossed we can the. Choose our seats. As I said I'm happy to pay for this but just want to be able to relax about the kids being with us for a v long flight

Please
or

riesenrad · 09/06/2022 13:20

I booked a package with BA and couldn't book seats in advance for free. I used Avios points to "pay" for seat choices as I was travelling with my elderly mother so wanted to make sure we had decent seats. It would have cost £90 otherwise!

Otherwise it was from check-in, 24 hours before.

Mine was a European destination though, maybe it's different for long haul.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 10/06/2022 09:25

If you book with BA direct, you get a “manage my booking” code. You then use this to access seat bookings etc. I would think an agent gets the code after they pay BA. We get our code when we pay BA. Going through another company delays you getting the code.

Please
or

DirtyteaCup · 10/06/2022 22:15

You pay unless you are Gold or Silver with BA

Please
or

Burnamer · 10/06/2022 22:20

What a phenomenally unhelpful post! Still, at least we all know you fly club 👏🏻👏🏻

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?