Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where to find a cheap self catering holiday

2 replies

Howmanysleepsnow · 28/05/2022 16:55

Help! I want to book a week or two in August and need to find something quick before the dog sitter gets booked up… but a new job and change of payday means funds are tight. I can’t find anywhere that doesn’t want the full amount up front. There’s 6 of us, and we don’t want to be in a hotel where we’re in separate rooms (4dc). So, mobile home or villa/ gite it is.
we could drive anywhere in France, or fly if further afield but with 6 airfares and an £1800 budget to hand right now we can’t afford to go much over £100pp for fights.
So…. Any recommendations for cheap destinations and flights? Or cheap sites to book accommodations or package holidays? (I’ve not booked a package before and they look ridiculously overpriced on tui compared to booking separately)
thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 30/05/2022 10:50

Look at booking.com - they have a lot of self catering accommodation and you can filter for not up front payment/free cancellation. You can also put in your budget per night and then search on the map for places that meet your criteria.

Please
or

artisanbread · 30/05/2022 11:18

For a French gite use www.gites-de-france.com/en or Air BnB. If you don't mind driving then Dover-Calais is by far the cheapest option. Although in June you are likely to be asked for full payment up-front. It's usually around 8 weeks before. AirBnB might let you pay closer to arrival.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?