Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone hired a car in Corfu!!?

4 replies

KazzaN · 27/05/2022 20:07

Anyone hired a car in Corfu/Greece? Did you need an IDP???
Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Ohhelpicantthinkofaname · 28/05/2022 09:41

We hired one last in 2020 and only needed a driving licence. I’ve got one booed for this summer and again only have a driving licence so hope that’s ok. There was no mention of needing anything else when I booked.

Please
or

KazzaN · 28/05/2022 11:07

Ohhelpicantthinkofaname · 28/05/2022 09:41

We hired one last in 2020 and only needed a driving licence. I’ve got one booed for this summer and again only have a driving licence so hope that’s ok. There was no mention of needing anything else when I booked.

It's funny because so much different information each way!

OP posts:
Please
or

Midgetwithaplan · 28/05/2022 11:24

Legally no you don't need an IDP but some hire companies don't recognise that and say any non EU driving license needs an IDP. We had a booking refused on Crete last October because of not having an IDP, to be fair it was in the booking conditions that it was needed, but I ignored it as I was following the gov.uk advice about none being needed. The next kiosk along at the airport let us hire a car without one.

This summer we are hiring cars in Italy and Greece and will be getting an IDP just to be on the safe side, they don't cost much and are easy to obtain

Please
or

PrinnyPree · 28/05/2022 22:22

Literally hired a car beginning of May from Benetsis car hire near our hotel Marbella Corfu for a couple of days on spec. They only asked for our normal driving licences. I had to google what IDP was 😅

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?