Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Car seats

1 reply

Hannah280 · 27/05/2022 19:13

Hi

We're taking our 5 month old to Portugal in the summer and I'm not sure what to do about a car seat. We were thinking of taking our LO through the airport in his sling and checking the stroller at the desk. I'm now looking at buying the joie juva travel system and taking it with us. We're not hiring a car so the seat is only for tranfers / maybe taxis while we are away.

This is our first baby so I have no idea whether I'm making things harder for myself. Is it better to use the seats provided by the transfer services? Do we need the stroller up to the gate? Should I buy our baby a seat on the plane for his seat? Any advice from more experienced travellers welcome!

OP posts:
Please
or

Honaloulou · 27/05/2022 19:18

I’ve regularly traveled to Portugal with babies, and I really recommend it!

If you can carry everything, I’d check in you’d car seat (at the desk), and take the buggy to the gate. Or check the buggy at the desk too and use the sling, whatever works for you.

having just a car seat as a buggy for the whole trip isn’t ideal as they’re heavy/ hot/ can be uncomfy.

And I wouldn’t rely on a car seat you hire in Portugal - some are fine, some are utter horror stories (and I’m not that fussy).

I wouldn’t bother biking a seat for a baby that young, you’ll be holding them anyway and it’s not that long a flight.

enjoy!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?