Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Recent experiences of Gatwick on weekday mornings?

15 replies

RollerCoasterProteinSpill · 26/05/2022 16:26

Anybody been through Gatwick recently? I will be arriving there next Thursday morning, (south terminal) first trip since COVID, and of course it's a bank holiday. I am hearing there have been some serious delays at UK airports and trying to guesstimate how much time to allow.
Thanks!

OP posts:
Please
or

Pootles34 · 26/05/2022 16:30

What time is your flight? Have a look at the online departures about 48 hrs before your flight, you'll be able to see how many others there are at that time.

I personally will always allow 4 hours now.

Please
or

MaisyMary77 · 26/05/2022 16:53

I’m curious as well. I’m flying out next Friday morning. I’ve purchased premium security tickets, (£5 each) am hoping that’ll help.

Please
or

Molly499 · 27/05/2022 15:37

Premium security is worth every penny, we were through in less than 5 minutes. Pre security will depend on the airline, BA have fast bag drop and again only took a couple of minutes, some of the more budget airlines had massive queues. We travelled early afternoon on a Thursday a couple of weeks ago and allowed three hours, it was far too long. School holidays may be difficult to predict.

Please
or

whereamu · 27/05/2022 15:59

Who have you booked with and can you check in before online?
We are going with Tui soon and checking is 14 days prior online.
I'm not sure if they have a bag drop off only section though.

Please
or

RollerCoasterProteinSpill · 28/05/2022 14:34

Got an email from the airline advising of potential delays and offering bag drop the night before. Already have an alarm set for online check in 24 hours prior, always do that. They didn't say anything about premium security but I am going to look into it. It's all so expensive though! Feeling a bit anxious but I do so need a holiday.

OP posts:
Please
or

ELM8 · 28/05/2022 14:38

We were fine flying out, security was quite quick but we have a little one so went through the family bit... but flying back in we were stuck on the plane for about an hour after landing as there weren't enough staff to bring the bridge thing out

Please
or

Oblomov22 · 28/05/2022 14:49

Ours was totally fine, very early in the morning, did bag drop, went through security easily and quickly.

Please
or

Wheredoestheblackfluffcomefrom · 28/05/2022 14:49

I went through south terminal Thursday. 4am, through security no problem, bag drop off and security in 20 mins. It got busier though. If after 5am I would have booked premium security.

not many food outlets open, Wetherspoons was rammed, the app doesn’t work until 6am. Overall not a bad experience

Please
or

Tarnation · 28/05/2022 14:56

North terminal, yesterday (Fri 27th May) arrived 10.45 am, whizzed through security in minutes, no queue at all.

Please
or

BendingSpoons · 28/05/2022 14:56

When we went at Easter I had a look at the departures list. There seemed to be loads of Easyjet flights (who we flew with) going around 6-7am. Our flight was around midday and there were less flights at that time. We got there 2.5 hours before and were fine, but it wasn't a bank holiday. The slowest bit was passport control on the way back. (I know Easter isn't that recent but was the last school hols)

Please
or

RollerCoasterProteinSpill · 28/05/2022 14:59

My partner works 50 hrs a week and I am picking him up from his shift to go straight to the airport so timing is important! We will also have my nervous flyer teen along for the ride.

Hearing up to date experiences is so helpful, thanks all!

OP posts:
Please
or

LesLavandes · 28/05/2022 15:08

I had same email from BA asking if I can drop my luggage night before.

Please
or

whereamu · 28/05/2022 20:43

I can't imagine many people can get to the airport the night before for bag drop! Also you would have to pay to park too!

Please
or

LesLavandes · 02/06/2022 08:07

I agree with you. Thankfully I'm staying in airport hotel night before

Please
or

RollerCoasterProteinSpill · 04/06/2022 09:59

For those of you wondering if I am still stuck there- I am happy to report we went straight through and all was smooth and efficient. It was busy but not chaotic. There were NO Twirls at WHSmith.
Safe travels to everyone flying this weekend!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?