Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mazaro Del Vallo - Sicily - anyone familiar?

5 replies

Neu · 21/05/2022 09:53

I have finally found some cheap options for a solo holiday and I really fancy Sicily now I've seen it!

Its an incredibly cheap break, I'm not bothered about a fancy hotel. I want a hot climate, well very warm at least, and somewhere I can feel safe on my own.

Can anyone tell me about this place and also is Sicily very expensive when you get there? I don't know anybody that's ever been!

OP posts:
Please
or

Georgyporky · 21/05/2022 17:51

We stayed nearby in Marinella di Selinunte a few years ago. We must have driven through MDV, but I don't remember it.
Eating & drinking were much cheaper than UK - but everywhere is !!
We had a hire car, it would have been very difficult to get anywhere without one

It's a huge island, we loved it & have been back on a package tour & visited Etna.
Might go a third time & visit Palermo.

Please
or

jclm · 21/05/2022 23:23

Would also like to visit Sicily - have you read the Montalbano crime novels?

Please
or

Laquila · 21/05/2022 23:32

We went to Sicily (camping) about 15yrs ago and I mainly remember it being surprisingly verdant and even alpine in the interior! The coast was beautiful too. It was fairly cheap to eat out but as a pp says, so much of Europe is cheaper than the UK at the moment. Bits of it felt very poor, I seem to remember, and the driving in Palermo was absolutely batshit. I know we liked Cefalu and a beautiful national park called Parco dello Zingaro, but I can't really remember much else other than it was bloody warm for May!

Please
or

NotABeliever · 21/05/2022 23:47

Sicily is very cheap except perhaps Taormina
It's a good choice if you want a break in a safe got place and on a budget.
Transport can be difficult so definitely hire a car but be prepared for suboptimal roads.

Please
or

Neu · 23/05/2022 06:34

Oh thank you everyone!

Not averse to hiring a car as when married I always did the driving abroad.

Think the hotel is seen is quite remote with not much going on but definitely looking at Sicily now!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?