Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Summer school for 9 year old kids

3 replies

janestevie · 10/05/2022 09:31

I am looking for my 9 year old daughter to attend a summer school to help her catch up in English and Maths.She is currently in Year 4 and like everyone missed out during the pandemic but has never caught up. Her spelling writing and maths are around year 2 and I’m worried about her going into year 5 so far behind that she will be lost. We live in Islington
Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

MolliciousIntent · 10/05/2022 09:33

Nope, bad idea. Just get some worksheets online and do a little with her each day, don't take away her free time. It will feel like punishment, she'll resent you, it and school and it will make everything much worse.

Please
or

MermaidEyes · 10/05/2022 09:51

I agree with pp that it will feel like a punishment when all her friends are enjoying their freedom and she's stuck in summer school. Why don't you see how things go in September, and then if need be put the money towards a tutor one or two evenings a week?

Please
or

Flopisfatteningbingforchristmas · 10/05/2022 09:54

I would look at either doing 5x30 mins blocks week with her yourself or if you are unable to do then get her a tutor. Also look into orchard games, baking and other fun things which teach skills. Make sure she reads to you every evening and you read to her too.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?