Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

DD passport - valid or not???

19 replies

Muuuuuuuum · 07/05/2022 13:06

We are hopefully heading to Europe via the tunnel in July with our 3 DC. All needed their passports renewing which we did, but eldest now has to sign. DH didn't supervise closely enough and she signed below the line.

They then decided to cross it out and resign above the line so there are two identical signatures on the passport, one above and one (crossed out) below the line. No information is obscured or even written over by the signatures.

The passport office sent me the following info today in response to my query about validity:

The passport must contain the holder’s usual signature to be valid for travel. If the holder’s signature is not directly on the printed signature line it will not invalidate the passport, providing that the holder has only signed once and not attempted to correct the signature or in any other way damaged the passport.
If you have written over any printed information this must still be readable.

However, please be aware that if you have made a mistake when signing, HM Passport Office are unable to guarantee that this will not cause you to encounter issues when using your passport, such as delays or further questioning by Border Officials.

So that suggests it might not be valid. But with 11 weeks until we travel, would any replacement arrive in time? OR do we just risk it?

Anyone had similar situation and if so what did you do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

OP posts:
Please
or

mycatallowsmetolivehere · 07/05/2022 13:14

I am no expert but no I would not risk it and do a new one - urgently

Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 07/05/2022 13:27

Aaarghh. Yes, I thought that might be the answer. More ££££ and stress. Why didn't we just leave it with one signature??????

Definitely screwed if replacement doesn't arrive though.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fleur405 · 07/05/2022 13:36

From what you have said and the information given by the passport office it sounds like it’s invalid (because it’s been signed more than once)u

Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 07/05/2022 13:44

Flip - 11 weeks until we travel I think and it says 10 for new passport to arrive - but all over press that it will be longer.
This is so stressful.

OP posts:
Please
or

mycatallowsmetolivehere · 07/05/2022 16:10

Can you get a face to face appointment somewhere ?

Please
or

AllYouCanEatBrestaurant · 07/05/2022 16:18

If it's any help I applied for my son's renewal 5 weeks ago and got the email to say it's being printed and will be with us soon.

I've seen the vast majority of people have gotten their passports back sooner than the estimated 10 weeks.

Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 07/05/2022 21:32

Thank you @AllYouCanEatBrestaurant That's reassuring to hear. Fingers crossed same is case for us. Do you know which passport office your son's is coming from?

OP posts:
Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 07/05/2022 21:35

@mycatallowsmetolivehere none available at moment. Apparently they are released 3 weeks in advance so would be at least that long, which would be ok if could guarantee getting one but who knows.

Have gone for online renewal after chat with very helpful man on passport office helpline (let's ignore the 3 times I was cut off and then 25 minutes on hold to get through 🤪).

Fingers crossed it arrives in time 🤞

OP posts:
Please
or

mycatallowsmetolivehere · 07/05/2022 21:37

🤞🏻

Please
or

Tarnation · 07/05/2022 21:38

Oh no! I wonder if there might be a different 'route' for you to obtain a new passport, given it was issued so recently, you're just really looking for a reprint, and not needing all the checks doing.

Maybe the same 'route' followed when the passport is lost by the courier?

Please
or

Autienotnaughtie · 07/05/2022 22:00

That's awful to add some hope ds first passport took 5 weeks dh renewal took 3 weeks.

Please
or

Darbs76 · 07/05/2022 22:09

Try logging on tomorrow morning early for an appointment. They release more daily. For a renewal it will probably be back anyway but I’d personally book an appointment then it’s 3wks plus 7 days after for delivery. It will save a lot of stress.

Please
or

ICanTuckMyBoobsInMyPockets · 07/05/2022 22:14

I just did my 10 year old's renewal and it only took 3 weeks

Please
or

Indoctro · 07/05/2022 22:33

My friend is still waiting since February for her sons passport Confused

I collected mine yesterday from Glasgow, that was with the quick way. 3 weeks still it took for a appointment
It was madness yesterday, loads of people outside with no appointments being turned away

The lady inside at desk said it is a complete nightmare for them at moment, the amount of passports is like nothing they have dealt with before, I felt sorry for her.

Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 08/05/2022 01:53

Was that a renewal or a first passport @Indoctro ?

its obviously a bit random as when we sent off all the dc passport it didn’t take long at all for them to come back. My renewal took longer but that went to a different passport office. Just have to hope we get lucky.

(Can you tell I am stressed about this - up at 2am posting about it!)

OP posts:
Please
or

AllYouCanEatBrestaurant · 08/05/2022 07:08

@Muuuuuuuum ours went to here:

HM Passport Office
UK-DAP
Long Croft Road
Corby
NN18 8UA

As I said we've had the printing notification but won't relax until it's actually in hand 😅

Please
or

Indoctro · 08/05/2022 08:06

My friends that is still waiting is a child renewal . Mine was also a renew that I fast tracked and collected from Glasgow.

Please
or

Muuuuuuuum · 01/06/2022 18:03

Just thought I'd pop back to say DDs new passport arrived today. So all good -hope others waiting have also had theirs turn up.

OP posts:
Please
or

SheWoreYellow · 01/06/2022 18:05

Muuuuuuuum · 01/06/2022 18:03

Just thought I'd pop back to say DDs new passport arrived today. So all good -hope others waiting have also had theirs turn up.

Oh Yey!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?