Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

P&O fjords cruise with DCs

16 replies

TickledOnion · 06/05/2022 13:36

I’m taking my DCs on our first cruise this summer to the fjords. If you have done one what trips/activities did you do on land? DCs are 10 and 12. They're not really into hiking or sight seeing. What else can we do? Did you book through with the cruise or independently? Any tips would be appreciated.

OP posts:
Please
or

TizerorFizz · 06/05/2022 17:20

I took my mum for her 90th birthday. With P&O.

Therefore our needs were not the same as yours. We booked with P&O regarding excursions mainly because it was easier for us. We did Norway in a Nutshell (from Flam?) which is a shortened section of a bigger trip. We did our own thing in Stavanger at a fishing museum in old buildings but your DC might like the oil industry museum. There’s a quaint old town by the port area too. We also went to Pulpit rock from there. In the afternoon I think.

We also took a trip out to a lake which wasn’t that great and walked to a church at Olden. I bought a fur hat nearby. Bergen has plenty to do. If you stop there! It’s got a great silver museum and the German trading Hanseatic area and museum are well preserved. The fish market was ok. It’s great to walk around the harbour area. It’s lovely. We didn’t do the railway up to more views! Getting into and out of Bergen is lovely. Sailing into the fjords is spectacular.

If you go further north, just get off and wander around. Lonely Planet will give you ideas about what to see. Too many shore excursions are 1/2 day. Folk like to get back for the all inclusive lunch! The scenery is stunning and I do hope it’s not all oldies on the ship. There is enough to see and do under your own steam at most ports. You just need to decide what interests you.

Please
or

Needmyrootsdoing · 08/05/2022 01:12

Hi OP,
we’re doing that cruise too this year! In a few weeks’ time! Our girls are 5 and 10. There looks to be some good Viking based excursions and a cable car ride at one stop too. When do you go?

Please
or

TickledOnion · 10/05/2022 09:57

Thanks for the replies. We’re going in august.

OP posts:
Please
or

NewandNotImproved · 10/05/2022 10:02

That company should be boycotted. Pure scum, what they did to their labourers.

Please
or

CalpolOnToast · 10/05/2022 10:05

They are completely different companies, I know it's confusing them having the same name!

Please
or

ModerationInEverything · 10/05/2022 10:06

They are a totally different company to the ferry company.

Please
or

Furball · 10/05/2022 14:12

Just to say that P&O Iona tried docking in one of the fjord ports either yesterday or today and couldn't for whatever reason. So if you had booked an external trip you would probably lose your money. Whereas if you had booked with P&O then you would get a refund.

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 10/05/2022 15:56

You can of course just walk off the ship at the ports and have a look around. There are some ports where an excursion is best but there are not always tours offered by external operators. I would do a mix of walking around the port/town and P&O excursions.

Please
or

notagamer · 10/05/2022 15:58

Please please please report back Op!

can you provide please more details on the cruise itself?

Please
or

Could you come back and report please?!
how long is the cruise and could i be rude and ask how much please

Please
or

notagamer · 10/05/2022 16:00

You really should spend, oh maybe thirty seconds, researching

Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 10/05/2022 17:25

Please please please report back Op!

can you provide please more details on the cruise itself?

If you look at Brogan Tate on YouTube (not my favourite vlogger) she returned from the cruise on the Iona, two weeks ago and has done 3 hour long vlogs about the ship, the ports and food and entertainment. Yes nothing whatsoever to do with P&O Ferries!!

Please
or

Blueberrycreampie · 10/05/2022 17:29

Could you come back and report please?!
how long is the cruise and could i be rude and ask how much please

Also a friend is going to the Fjords with Carnival out of Dover on 10th June and says it was heavily discounted as not many from the US have made it over here. Look up IGLU cruise company, all prices should be there.

Please
or

notagamer · 10/05/2022 17:36

Thank you and will do!

Please
or

ItsSnowJokes · 10/05/2022 17:40

What ports are you stopping at? We did a lovely alpaca walking at one stop that all of us loved. We had a great time at the fjords.

Please
or

notangelinajolie · 10/05/2022 17:43

The OP is asking about P&O Cruises - NOT P&O Ferries!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?