Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Portugal travel advice

15 replies

MrsTxx · 03/05/2022 14:44

Due to go to the Algarve in June. First time I’ve ever been, going all inc for a week with DH and DS (3)
Any tips or heads up please?
also has anyone been and can explain covid guidance and what it’s like over there (masks mandatory?)
im double jabbed

OP posts:
Please
or

TinyTear · 03/05/2022 15:03

I was there for Easter and mas use was a lot more common than in the UK
At the hotel we had to wear a mask in the corridors and when getting breakfast from the buffet

but outside it was ok.

masks required indoors, shops and taxis, etc...

Please
or

ClashCityRocker · 04/05/2022 10:24

I just got back from portugal a couple of days ago - we stayed in the algarve, then did a few days in Lisbon and Porto.

Masks are no longer mandatory indoors for areas other than public transport. This was scrapped the week we arrived so relatively recent. Quite strictly enforced on public transport - we saw a few bits arguing they were exempt who were not allowed to board.

Mask wearing on a voluntary basis was more common than in the UK; it feels similar to when they initially scrapped it here and a fair few people still wore them, although plenty without masks too.

Vaccine certs are accepted for the fully vaxxed, or a supervised lat flo test taken prior to departure by 24 hours, pcr 72 hours.

Having said that, no one in our party was asked to show either although we had them.

It didn't really feel too different from where we're at in the UK in terms of covid precautions, bar a few more people opting to wear masks.

Please
or

ClashCityRocker · 04/05/2022 10:26

I should add masks also required for medical areas - although hopefully you'll be able to avoid those!

Please
or

MrsTxx · 04/05/2022 12:21

I had my second jab last September, do I need to get my booster before travelling please?

OP posts:
Please
or

Sophie624 · 05/05/2022 09:26

Masks are mandatory indoors and public transport and they will remind you if you forget.

The vaccination certificate with the 2 dosis was enough to travel plus the passengers locator form.

Please
or

Georgyporky · 05/05/2022 17:58

Got back today.
Masks are required on PUBLIC transport. Some taxi drivers wear them, but passengers are not required to.
Hotels, restaurants, shops etc do not require clients/customers to wear masks.
Passenger Locator forms can be done online before you go - but they might not be necessary when you go.
NHS Covid Pass is required , but also easy to print off before you go.

Please
or
Please
or

Sleepyteach · 07/05/2022 08:25

I’m in Portugal at the moment, like others have said masks are no longer mandatory in shops and restaurants although a lot of people are still wearing them. Passenger locator forms have been scrapped now too. Booster is required if your second jab was more than 6 or 9 months ago (I can’t remember which, it has changed a couple of times!). Our vaccine certs weren’t checked either by the airline or on arrival at Faro - we’ve been out here twice in the last few weeks and it was the same both times. Enjoy, it’s a beautiful place and you’ll have a great time!

Please
or

Frazzled2207 · 07/05/2022 09:33

Thanks @Sleepyteach
so to be clear dh and I do have evidence of vaccines on our apps just in case but no other covid related admin needed?

we will take some masks with us but.

Please
or

MermaidEyes · 07/05/2022 09:40

Following as we are also off to Portugal in the summer. Have the Passenger Locator forms definitely been scrapped? Also, I presume the covid vaccine app on your phone is acceptable, with a printed copy for back up? OP, I think from what I read recently you need to have had second or booster jab within the last 270 days, but this could have changed. Keeping my fingers crossed they follow Greece and decide to scrap entry restrictions entirely tbh 🤞

Please
or

FfeminyddCymraeg · 07/05/2022 09:45

We spent a week the second half of Easter and the mask wearing was scrapped halfway through - they were very strict prior to that though.

Your most recent vaccination has to be within 270 days of travel or you will need an LFT. I haven’t had the booster so had a test but they didn’t check that or the PLF. Just to flag that the LFT has to be a healthcare administered one rather than a self test, so you need to find somewhere that does that and have it no more than 24hrs before you fly.

As it happens, half of our party came back with Covid and I suspect many on the plane coming back did as the coughing and spluttering was grim.

Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 07/05/2022 09:48

The latest information is here:

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal/entry-requirements

Booster needed if last vaccine was more than 270 days ago and locator form scrapped unless you are going to Madeira or Porto Santo where it is still recommended.

All travellers should be checking this information on the official government website. It can change so stay up to date. Relying on the advice of strangers online is very risky (although all the advice here seems sound to the best of my knowledge).

Please
or

Sleepyteach · 07/05/2022 10:08

@Frazzled2207 yes just vaccine certs needed. Masks still required on plane and in airport although a lot of people weren’t. Best thing to do is go on the FCDO website and register for updates so you’ll get an email if anything changes.

Please
or

Sleepyteach · 07/05/2022 10:10

@Frazzled2207 should have said on phone is fine, as long as the QR code is in date

Please
or

MrsTxx · 07/05/2022 13:50

Will get my booster booked! Thanks people.
Anyone been to albufeira and has any suggestions on things to do or any tips?
also staying at hotel Jupiter if anyones been or due to go mid June?

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?