Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lapland December 2022 - Russia worries

10 replies

boatgirl81 · 01/05/2022 17:48

We have had a lapland trip booked for a few years, was cancelled due to Covid and rearranged. We have paid the deposit of £750 and the balance is due in September. My husband and I are getting increasingly nervous about the Russian threat to Finland and for peace of mind would like to cancel. Should we wait until closer to September and see if any advice changes? Anyone else worried?

OP posts:
Please
or

Sirbobblysock123 · 01/05/2022 17:54

We’re booked for this year too. I’m waiting it out and not booking any further excursions unless I can get a full or nearly full refund until nearer the time. Not cancelling though, I’ll see what happens if Finland do join NATO this summer (no idea how long the whole process takes!)

Please
or

Silkierabbit · 02/05/2022 10:16

I would be nervous too though Lapland is amazing. If balance isn't due until September would wait it out until then but maybe would write it off in your mind if that helps you not worry. I doubt the situation will have resolved by then but you never know, maybe if Putin dies. Though if they do invade Finland I think the £750 will be the least of our worries.

Please
or

QuentininQuarantino · 02/05/2022 10:20

Omg I’m glad to see this thread. I paid off the balance last week, it’s a bucket list holiday for me. So I’m down thousands. I was hoping I wouldn’t lose it should the worst happen as they moved peoples holidays during COVID. I do need to insure it though, Do you have any recommendations for an insurer?

I’m an awful flyer at the best of times so im most worried about the airspace.

fucking fucker that Putin.

Please
or

boatgirl81 · 02/05/2022 17:01

Thank you, yes you are right, would hate to lose £750 but if we are at a world war type situation then as you say we will have more awful things to worry about. We will wait it out until September and see what happens. I heard back from our company and they have offered to let us defer the holiday for another year so that is an option. Lets hope the situation does resolve itself somehow.

OP posts:
Please
or

HamCob · 02/05/2022 22:37

We are booked for Dec too and the resort we're staying in is close to the Russian border. To be honest if things stay as they are now then I'll have no qualms about going but will see how the situation is in Sept when we need to pay the balance.

We're booked with Tui so hoping that if the worst happens we can transfer to a different holiday.

Please
or

boatgirl81 · 04/05/2022 10:07

We are also staying very close to the border, it is just making me so nervous. Finland will be formally announcing it's intention to apply to Nato on May 12th and wonder what that will spark off.

OP posts:
Please
or

boatgirl81 · 08/06/2022 12:05

It all seems to have gone a bit quiet now so feeling a bit more hopeful but just waiting it out until September now.

OP posts:
Please
or

UglyModernWindows · 08/06/2022 16:13

I’m a Finn and just visited Finland first time since the pandemic started. It didn’t even occur for me to worry about this!! It’s business as usual there and you really don’t need to worry. I hope you’ll enjoy Lapland, it’s magical in there.

Please
or

boatgirl81 · 26/09/2022 09:37

Thank you, it's good to hear a reply from someone in the area. The balance is due and we are going to go and hope for the best!

OP posts:
Please
or

Weirdlynormal · 05/10/2022 20:30

Honestly, he’s got his hands full further south. He has no hardware to do anything to Finland. I’d not give it another thought

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?