Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passports

8 replies

Miniyellowflower · 01/05/2022 08:43

Hello

Need to get a fast track 1 week appointment for my son’s first passport (flying in 8 weeks) Had no luck so far getting an appointment - always says try again later. Does anyone know what time appointments are released online? Starting to get anxious!

thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Mindymomo · 01/05/2022 08:47

I’ve not seen that anyone has managed to get a fast track appointment, you may be better applying online to get it in the system.

Please
or

Lazypuppy · 01/05/2022 08:51

Have you not seen all the news articles about passport delays? Honestly with less than 8 weeks to go i'd be suprised if you can get a passport in time, especially a first one.

Its basically roulette do you hang on for 1 week appointment or as pp says just apply online and at least start the process.

This is why they advise not to book holidays until you have all valid and in date passports in your hands

Please
or

GiltEdges · 01/05/2022 09:01

Honestly OP, in your shoes I'd just apply online ASAP and hope for the best. We applied for DS's first passport that way recently and it took about 4 weeks in the end.

Please
or

FasterthanBolt · 01/05/2022 09:07

Can you postpone the flights for another few weeks? 8 weeks for a first passport, with all the delays that are widely reported, is cutting it very fine.

Please
or

Dinoboymama · 01/05/2022 09:14

I would keep trying online until you get an appointment you can't just change to a fast track one if you go down the normal route.

We've had a couple of passports come back in 3 weeks but some have been waiting since February for some doing the same routine ones.

It really is pot luck ATM. I hope you can get an appointment asap.

Please
or

Miniyellowflower · 01/05/2022 09:23

Thanks all, yes wishing we’d been more organised now! Fingers crossed..

OP posts:
Please
or

Alternativepersona · 01/05/2022 13:57

I was in this situation this week, travelling in early June. The website shows about 3 weeks worth of appointments all of which were full (in my case up to the 17th May). I looked early the next morning and it looks like they 'released' the appointments for the 18th May, and I was able to get one. I would suggest that you look early in the morning, or maybe after midnight and I think you will be able to get an appointment. This was for the premium online application.

Please
or

CrashBandicootOnSanityBeach · 01/05/2022 14:16

@Miniyellowflower

You booked the trip before sending for the passport? Shock

Rookie error! The passport office constantly tells people to make sure everyone travelling has valid passports before booking an overseas trip. No-one should be allowed to book holidays abroad until they prove everyone travelling has a valid passport for the trip! Some measures need to be put in place, to stop all of this totally avoidable nonsense.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?