Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Traveling to Japan with children this summer

15 replies

Sophie624 · 28/04/2022 22:56

Hi

Does anyone Know what the requirements are to travel to Japan with children?, we are all fully vaccinated apart from 11 year old child. Planning to go this summer

Grateful for any advice

OP posts:
Please
or

zeddybrek · 28/04/2022 23:50

Not sure about coivd rules but we took DC aged 5 and 3 in Easter as we were advised summer is incredibly humid and hot.

Please
or

Manekinek0 · 29/04/2022 00:06

I think tourists still can't visit.

As PP says it will be uncomfortably hot and humid. Unless you are used to that kind of climate I wouldnt advise visiting with children

If you do decide to go ahead and are allowed in then where would you be planning to visit?

Please
or

Sophie624 · 29/04/2022 07:37

Thank you. Planning to stop over for a week on our way to Australia; perhaps we should do Thailand instead

OP posts:
Please
or

Sophie624 · 29/04/2022 07:41

Planning to visit in Kyoto and Tokyo

OP posts:
Please
or

BundtCake · 29/04/2022 07:48

Japan isn’t open to tourists at the mo.

Please
or

grapehyacinthisactuallyblue · 29/04/2022 07:59

This sub maybe helpful.

www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/hot/

Please
or

notacooldad · 29/04/2022 07:59

Just Google 'foreign office travel advice Japan' for up to date info on any entry requirements needed if open to tourists.
Thst will have the up to date info.

Please
or

Sophie624 · 29/04/2022 08:24

Thank you. Will have to leave Japan for another ocassion and change the stopover

OP posts:
Please
or

SummaLuvin · 29/04/2022 09:21

Came here to say Japan isn't yet open, but others have beaten me to it!

Also worth considering for this stopover is the impact of Russian airspace, this has made flights going East from UK longer/more complicated.

Please
or

shunkodai · 02/07/2022 19:23

just walked in. you need SOSapp and a PCR check. IF you have those you can walk straight in.

Please
or

shunkodai · 02/07/2022 19:25

you cant fly over Russian
airspace to Japan

Please
or

jaundicedoutlook · 23/07/2022 14:26

At present flights are mostly going south of Russia, taking and extra 3 hours or so.

If you are not a Japanese national or travelling on another form of exemption you will need to be on an organised tour with a registered tour company and get a visa from the Japanese embassy in advance. You cannot just turn up and get a visa on arrival as you could pre-covid.

Please
or

Taiyo · 23/07/2022 14:32

shunkodai · 02/07/2022 19:23

just walked in. you need SOSapp and a PCR check. IF you have those you can walk straight in.

I thought they still weren't issuing tourist visas.

You can enter on a package tour or you can get a visa if you have some kind of family connection there.

Please
or

greenteafiend · 23/07/2022 14:35

It's almost impossible to get into Japan as a tourist right now.
Try again next year. Summer is not the best time as the heat and humidity are intense.

Please
or

jaundicedoutlook · 23/07/2022 14:41

Having just been into Tokyo today on a shopping trip I can tell you it was hotter than a badger’s chuff.

Generally I find summer is tolerable if you stay out of the city as much as possible, but autumn and spring so much nicer.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?