Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passports - had to verify child's ID twice? Anyone else?

15 replies

Parentcarerandcrazy · 25/04/2022 09:29

I'll try to keep it brief...

Applied for DS's first passport. Our headteacher did the online ID verification for him and for my other two children (all first passports). Other two have been approved and arriving today.

But we got an email around a week ago saying my eldest DS had to have his ID verified - no other information given?! Not 'verified again' or 'second verification' or anything, just the exact same email as I got when I originally submitted his application. I did get a teacher friend to do it within 24 hours but it almost feels like we're back to square one as we are stuck back on ID verification submitted. I can't get through to speak to anyone and we go away in 5 weeks 😨

Has anyone else had the same thing happen please?

OP posts:
Please
or

NatriumChloride · 25/04/2022 09:31

Yes!! Happened to me for my littlest one. Just get someone to re-verify asap and it usually comes in about two or three weeks. It’s frustrating, I know. I used someone different the second time round.

Please
or

Parentcarerandcrazy · 25/04/2022 09:37

NatriumChloride · 25/04/2022 09:31

Yes!! Happened to me for my littlest one. Just get someone to re-verify asap and it usually comes in about two or three weeks. It’s frustrating, I know. I used someone different the second time round.

Thank you, that's reassuring to hear. Did you ever find out why they wanted it verified again?
I did ask someone different this time as it was Easter holidays and our head took over a week to do it first time round anyway 🤦‍♀️

OP posts:
Please
or

Soffit · 25/04/2022 09:43

Yes, it happened five years ago and was very annoying. The final passport was printed upside down and blurry and looked completely fake. I have no idea how he managed to travel everywhere on it. This time round (renewals) has been a breeze.

Please
or

Parentcarerandcrazy · 25/04/2022 12:19

Soffit · 25/04/2022 09:43

Yes, it happened five years ago and was very annoying. The final passport was printed upside down and blurry and looked completely fake. I have no idea how he managed to travel everywhere on it. This time round (renewals) has been a breeze.

That's quite scary for it to be printed so badly!
My youngest two's passports have just arrived, so it's bugging me like mad that we still are no further forward with my eldest 🤦‍♀️😅 I mean, I still have over 5 weeks to go so I probably shouldn't be panicking yet, but I even looked up alternative flight times and costs this morning 🤣

OP posts:
Please
or

reluctantbrit · 25/04/2022 20:40

We had this when we renewed DD's passport with her baby photo. We just got our neighbour to sign the form and that was it.

Passport came just under a week afterwards.

Please
or

Parentcarerandcrazy · 26/04/2022 09:52

I'm still anxiously waiting for an update from the passport office. It must be down to whoever checked his form, as my younger two went through absolutely fine.

OP posts:
Please
or

Parentcarerandcrazy · 26/04/2022 09:52

I'm still anxiously waiting for an update from the passport office. It must be down to whoever checked his form, as my younger two went through absolutely fine.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cruz86 · 26/04/2022 11:32

I've just had an update for a third ID check with my renewal! I'm so bloody angry 😡

Please
or

QuentininQuarantino · 26/04/2022 11:47

Yes - we’re on the second one. The first one was rejected because the photo (taken by a passport photographer in his studio with white background) didn’t have a white background. Now they’re saying her eyes are shut (which they aren’t at all)…

Please
or

Notwithittoday · 26/04/2022 11:49

Yes. This happened to us recently with my two DD’s applications. I rang up and was told you can’t have the same person verify more than one photo/ ID

Please
or

Parentcarerandcrazy · 26/04/2022 13:29

Notwithittoday · 26/04/2022 11:49

Yes. This happened to us recently with my two DD’s applications. I rang up and was told you can’t have the same person verify more than one photo/ ID

Oh really? So our headteacher validated all three of my kids, two went to one passport office and one to another. My eldest is one of the two at the same office, so that would make some sense (although I didn't read that anywhere or else I wouldn't have used the same person!) FFS 🙄

OP posts:
Please
or

Cruz86 · 26/04/2022 13:41

I asked two different people to verify my identity when asked. And they haven't verified anyone else in my family. So I don't understand why they're asking a third time?!

Please
or

Notwithittoday · 26/04/2022 17:37

@Parentcarerandcrazy I know. It would be helpful if they’d just said that when you fill it in originally. They seem to just refuse things but not give you a reason why so you’re just guessing. Def worth ringing up and checking. The other thing is the person validating your passport has to have a valid passport themselves

Please
or

Parentcarerandcrazy · 26/04/2022 17:54

I can't get through to their helpline, you get to the point where you'd go on hold and then it says they are too busy and to ring back later 😭
I didn't know about them having to have a valid passport either! I'm assuming they have to provide their passport details when they do the verification thing?

OP posts:
Please
or

Notwithittoday · 26/04/2022 19:45

I had luck getting through first thing in the morning. Yes I think so. I know my friend said she would do it and then messaged me all apologetic saying that when she’d tried to do it she couldn’t because no valid passport

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?