Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Ryanair cabin baggage

5 replies

Butterfly44 · 10/04/2022 10:28

If you pay for priority the 10kg carry on is 55x40x20cm. It's the 20cm width that's quite low. I went on a Ryanair trip recently and saw loads bringing cases with expanding zips and well over 20cm mark. No one queried on this trip so I'm wondering about this as I'm buying luggage. It is a chance thing that people hope to get away with?

OP posts:
Please
or

EileenGC · 10/04/2022 23:36

My travel app tells me I have taken 42 Ryanair flights in the last 5 years. Not once have I had the width of my suitcase measured.

Any standard cabin suitcase will fit in the Ryanair lockers. Expanding zips and all. Nobody checks.

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 11/04/2022 07:57

I've not travelled by Ryanair that often, but I'm sure I've seen people having cases taken off them and if they decide to impose a charge, it's expensive and annoying. I'd rather just use a compliant case to save the worry.

If you're buying a new case, the It World's Lightest cabin case fits Ryanair and is designed to maximise internal space by having the handle go round the outside, so doesn't necessarily take any less luggage than larger cases where the handle running through the middle takes up a lot of the internal space.

They sell them in Argos and other places

www.argos.co.uk/product/8796574

Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 11/04/2022 08:51

I've flown with Ryanair twice recently and no-one was measuring cases. They do have the bag measuring cages on display but I didn't see anyone using them. I think now the carry on luggage is pre-booked it's not such a fight an free for all, so perhaps that's why they are more relaxed.

Please
or

Butterfly44 · 11/04/2022 23:31

Thanks! Ah that's a good point as it's now all paid for! I won't be too strict then.

I'll look at the IT baggage. Thanks 🙂

OP posts:
Please
or

PAFMO · 12/04/2022 05:52

I flew with them on Sunday with paid for cabin baggage. Mine was just under the measurements and was an IT carry on.
There were loads of much bigger pieces of luggage carried on- I think it's a question of people making sure nobody sees it before boarding tbh as at the check in desks people were definitely being turned away and sent to customer services to check oversized bags in. But if you manage to get it as far as the gate- there was one harassed guy doing everything. He wasn't looking at bags.
I'd not risk it personally but that's me.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?