Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Vancouver Hotels - mid Aug

10 replies

Sandgroper · 03/04/2022 14:05

Hi

Have booked our 18 day holiday to Vancouver, The Rockies and Sunshine Coast (visiting friends) for this July/Aug.

At the beginning of the holiday we have booked into the Blue Horizon Hotel in Vancouver. We are returning to Vancouver for a few days at the end of the holiday and could stay at the same hotel but is there anywhere else (eg different part of town) you could suggest we stay? We have two DS (16 & 14).

Our friends suggested a couple of places but DH wasn’t that impressed with them.

Many thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

EwwSprouts · 03/04/2022 15:34

I would chose one on Vancouver Island for a less city feel end to the holiday.

Please
or

VinylCafe · 03/04/2022 16:58

The Blue Horizon is on Robson Street (shopping) and near Stanley Park so it's nicely situated. Is there anywhere else you want to visit? Have you thought about Whistler?

Staying on Vancouver Island is lovely - my favourite place is Tofino but am not sure if it's already booked up. Long Beach Lodge Resort is very nice and right on Cox beach.

Please
or

Sandgroper · 04/04/2022 09:31

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. Good to know the hotel is in a good part of town.

I did look at VI when planning trip (Tofino or Uculet) but ruled it out due to not much being available, cost and time restraints. We have to get the ferry up to our friends in Pender Harbour and back so thought coming back to Vancouver was easiest (also for airport for home bound flight). Is there not much to do or is it only worth a day or two?

When we arrive I was worried about first day being jet lagged (we fly in very late night before) and second day we fly to Calgary in the evening, so may only have one proper day to look around.

Did think about Whistler but ruled it out and going to Okanagan Valley instead after The Rockies and before we go to Pender Harbour.

We are moving around so much and yes I know it’s that type of holiday and that’s down to us - 8 places in 18 days. Maybe we are trying to cram too much in but it’s our first proper holiday in 2.5 years!

OP posts:
Please
or

Happydaze2 · 04/04/2022 11:51

We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Vancouver in Aug ‘17 - think the Broadway one? - and it was good. Our children were 17 and 14 at the time and the neighbourhood felt comfortable and safe enough for them to take walks on their own in the evening. Btw think you’ve made a good decision ruling out Whistler - of all the places we stayed that was the one we all agreed we liked least. Hope you have a great trip - we loved Canada and the children have golden memories of it…so much so that our DD is currently on a Uni year abroad there! Smile

Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 04/04/2022 12:22

We stayed in the westin bay shore which is on the waterfront and was nice.

Please
or

VinylCafe · 04/04/2022 13:53

When you're in Calgary, can you take a trip to Banff, Lake Louise or Jasper? Beautiful places.

I lived in Vancouver for many years but always wished we had moved to Tofino instead. It's a long drive to get there though just for a short visit.

The Okanagan is beautiful too but beware of forest fires! Check before you go.

Please
or

Sandgroper · 04/04/2022 14:57

Happydaze2
Thanks will check it out. My DH was born in Canada but left to go back to Oz when he was 5. We nearly moved there but came to UK from Oz instead. Been to east coast but wanted to go to Vancouver forever so very excited about our trip! What a fab opportunity for your DD.

HermioneWeasley
Excellent thanks will check it out.

vinylCafe
We are only flying into Calgary, staying at airport hotel as it’s a late flight, then pick up hire car next morning to stay in Banff 3 days and Lake Louise and then Jasper for 3 days. Totally get it about Forrest fires from Oz (originally) so used to bushfires. Sad about not going to VI but just don’t have enough time, have to save for another trip!

Appreciate all your suggestions, many thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Nandocushion · 04/04/2022 15:07

Westin Bayshore is a nice location. There's also an older hotel on English Bay called the Sylvia which has some character and is a very walkable area. Or you could stay at the Granville Island Hotel and be steps from everything there.

Lots to do in Vancouver, don't worry about that!

Please
or

InkySquid · 04/04/2022 16:27

I'd just come on for Vancouver hotel recommendations, i'm tacking some sightseeing on to a worktrip. I've been amazed at the number of supposedly luxury hotels that still charge for wifi!!

Please
or

JennyWreny · 04/04/2022 17:48

We stayed in Hotel Vancouver which was lovely. Good location. We managed to get a good rate and upgraded to Fairmont Gold which included, nicer room and a separate lounge with free breakfast, free non alcoholic drinks (they also filled the mini bar with our fav cold drinks), mid afternoon pastries/snacks, tapas style food early evening and cookies and muffins etc before bed. Because there were four of us sharing the room it was great value, we often went back to the hotel mid afternoon for a snack etc. The kids loved it as one of the concierge team knew exactly what they wanted to drink and got it straight away when he saw us coming. Was a great end to our holiday.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?