Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

If I’ve checked in online and am hand luggage only do I go straight to security?

17 replies

PriamFarrl · 03/04/2022 10:08

Just that really. I’ve not travelled since the before times and since Brexit. I don’t remember how it works.

Thanks all.

OP posts:
Please
or

LaLaFlottes · 03/04/2022 11:15

Yes as long as you have checked in and have your boarding pass which you can either print at home, download to your phone or collect at the airport I’m sure you just head to security 😊

Please
or

MarthanotMarfa · 03/04/2022 11:17

Yes as long as you’ve definitely got your boarding pass and you didn’t have to verify any Covid docs at the desk.

Please
or

Movingonup22 · 03/04/2022 11:18

Nope. You first need to go to Waterstones and get yourself some snacks and a bottle of water for the flight.

Then go to security.

Then chug the whole bottle of water because you can’t take it through security.

Then go through secuirty.

Then identify nearest toilet to your gate.

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 03/04/2022 11:31

I’ve got our Covid passes downloaded and printed off. I’ll check in the morning before.

So we don’t need to wait for the airport check in to open do we? Just straight off to security.
I’ve got a lounge booked and I want maximum usage.

OP posts:
Please
or

LaLaFlottes · 03/04/2022 11:55

Straight to security 😊 you’ve already checked in so it doesn’t matter about the check in desk being open or not 😊
Have a great trip!

Please
or

marcopront · 03/04/2022 11:59

It depends where you are flying from and to.
However it should be clear on the online check in website what you need to do.

Please
or

Kitkat151 · 03/04/2022 12:02

Hope you not going from Manchester....cos that lounge will be a waste of money

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 03/04/2022 12:08

Heathrow T5, I’ve used the lounge there before and I got a good discount so I’m not worried.

OP posts:
Please
or

Kitkat151 · 03/04/2022 12:19

@PriamFarrl

Heathrow T5, I’ve used the lounge there before and I got a good discount so I’m not worried.

It’s not the lounge.....it’s the amount of time security is taking at the moment....due to serious staff shortage at all airports....most people are just getting through security with enough time to walk to their boarding gate....many others are legging to their boarding gate....and others are missing the flight completely
Please
or

CeeceeBloomingdale · 03/04/2022 12:26

Sounds like BA or a partner. Yes, straight through security when you arrive. There are two security points, one at each end of the terminal, so it moves quite quick, took me seconds when I did it a fortnight ago through T5.

Please
or

ThreeWiseWomen · 03/04/2022 12:38

Just a word to the wise, the lounge at T5 last September was utterly dire, plain yoghurt, no granola, but they had porridge which requires more manpower, tried to have a slice of toast, sorry we don't do toast. WTAF, right bugger it, I know it is early but I am off on my holidays, I will have a glass of wine thanks, sorry no sauvignon, only pinot grigio. Again WTAF, a glass of sauvignon is not exactly top drawer wine.

We are flying from T5 again this year and will be swerving the T5 lounge like the plague.

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 03/04/2022 12:46

Thanks for that. I hope it’s better by now.

OP posts:
Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 03/04/2022 16:22

How busy T5 will be really depends on when you're travelling. Weekends are chaotic at the moment, with huge queues, especially now it's school holiday time. It took a friend 45 mins to get through fast track security last Sat morning - hate to imagine how bad normal security was! Whereas when I've travelled through T5 this month and last month it has been on weekdays so I've got through fast track within 5-10 mins (and normal security also looked pretty quiet).

I'm assuming you don't have status (or are flying business etc) if you're paying for lounge access so you'll be going through normal security. In which case, if you're travelling any point during Fri afternoon-Sun night, make sure you get to T5 with LOTS of time as security could take a while. At least you save on the bag drops queues (which are also horrendous at weekends/school holiday).

Please
or

ouch321 · 03/04/2022 16:32

I think it generally goes like this for UK airports..

Step 1a. Check in online and if putting luggage in the hold go to the bag drop off section.

OR

Step 1b. Check in at the checkin desk and give them your hold luggage.

Step 2. Scan your boarding pass at the barriers.

Step 3. Security when they xray your handbag and your cabin suitcase if taking etc.

Step 4. Look at the departure board to find the right gate for your flight once you're through security.

However I think outside of the UK at Step 2 they also do a passport check as part of the departure sequence.

Pleas correct me if I'm wrong in any of the above other people.

Please
or

BarbaraWoodlouse · 03/04/2022 16:41

If you have a boarding pass already you should be OK but occasionally airlines do need to do additional checks - eg if you are flying long haul and they need to verify a visa or inspect the passport themselves. There should be some staff around the desks to ask even if your check in has not opened. Otherwise go to security and someone will put you right if you missed a step.

I’m mostly here to compliment you on the use of “the beforetimes”:🤣

Please
or

PriamFarrl · 03/04/2022 19:08

@HundredMilesAnHour

How busy T5 will be really depends on when you're travelling. Weekends are chaotic at the moment, with huge queues, especially now it's school holiday time. It took a friend 45 mins to get through fast track security last Sat morning - hate to imagine how bad normal security was! Whereas when I've travelled through T5 this month and last month it has been on weekdays so I've got through fast track within 5-10 mins (and normal security also looked pretty quiet).

I'm assuming you don't have status (or are flying business etc) if you're paying for lounge access so you'll be going through normal security. In which case, if you're travelling any point during Fri afternoon-Sun night, make sure you get to T5 with LOTS of time as security could take a while. At least you save on the bag drops queues (which are also horrendous at weekends/school holiday).

We are flying early on a Monday morning. I’m stuck with school holidays as I’m a teacher. It won’t let me buy fast track security. We are staying at the Sofitel the night before so we can almost play it by ear and get up an hour earlier if we need to.
OP posts:
Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 03/04/2022 19:19

To be honest, given your circumstances, I wouldn't have bothered with paying for lounge access (paid-for lounges are usually pretty rubbish when compared with actual airline lounges) and instead I'd get to security early and then go and enjoy a leisurely breakfast at Plane Food knowing you can relax now that the hard bit is over. Smile

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?