Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Where would you go for a 20th anniversary holiday?

23 replies

Obelisk · 02/04/2022 13:05

Our 20th anniversary is next year and we're thinking of celebrating with an amazing summer holiday. We have a good budget- maybe £20k but could stretch.

Two adults, two teens (17 and 16). We've travelled a lot in Europe and also visited New York and California many times. Never done a family trip further afield though. I don't fancy Australia.

I'd like at least part of the trip to be a bit luxurious but it doesn't all need to be. Maybe a week doing something more active/intrepid and a week relaxing.

WWYD?

OP posts:
Please
or

Notwithittoday · 02/04/2022 13:08

On a cruise 🚢 without a doubt

Please
or

netto · 02/04/2022 13:11

Cruise - we di our first cruise for our 25th anniversary with DC - 19 aand 21. Everyone really enjoyed it.We did Greek Islands.

Please
or

thekingfisher · 02/04/2022 13:18

Fleewinter Greek yacht / catamaran without doubt! comes with skipper and cook

Please
or

ItsReallyOnlyMe · 02/04/2022 13:19

I'd go to Thailand. It's really cool location for your teens and is fascinating. So much different culture and great food. For your budget you could fly business class.

Please
or
Please
or

WoolyMammoth55 · 02/04/2022 13:31

Ooh, dream! I have no real idea if these work with your budget but:

Japan for 3-4 weeks is phenomenal: a week in Tokyo including the Ghibli Museum and all the sushi, then climb mount Fuji, go to Kyoto for the golden temples, visit Shibu Onsen and soak in the hot springs, and end up with a week on the beach in Okinawa...

My sister did a fantastic 3 weeks in Africa: safari by locally-owned company in Namibia and then visited Botswana and ended with a beach week in Zanzibar.

I also hear great things about Vietnam?

Enjoy :)

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 02/04/2022 19:04

My friend, who loves intrepid type holidays, raved about Costa Rica, and Cambodia/Vietnam.

Please
or

KELLOGSspeck · 02/04/2022 19:10

Carribean. Some where like Barbados or Antigua look fab or on that budget it would be the Maldives!

Please
or

winnieanddaisy · 02/04/2022 23:06

Mexico in a nice hotel .

Please
or

reluctantbrit · 02/04/2022 23:12

Asia or Africa

A cruise would be my idea of a nightmare but everyone is different.

Please
or

Leah2005 · 02/04/2022 23:16

Definitely Japan.

Please
or

LadyMonicaBaddingham · 02/04/2022 23:17

We went to Richmond in North Yorkshire. Bloody brilliant.

Please
or

teaandtoastwithmarmite · 02/04/2022 23:20

Thailand and Vietnam both amazing

Please
or

motherstongue · 02/04/2022 23:49

We are hoping to do a 2 centre holiday to Singapore then on to Borneo for our 35th Wedding Anniversary.

Please
or

Meredusoleil · 03/04/2022 08:15

Carribean cruise definitely. That's what I want to do for our 20th!

Please
or

cumonilean · 03/04/2022 08:29

Asia or South Africa

Please
or

tumpymummy · 03/04/2022 08:40

We have travelled a lot. One of my favourite holidays was to Vietnam and Cambodia. Flew to Hanoi, joined a G adventures trip (so the teenagers had other people to talk to!) to ho chi minh then flew to Cambodia and visited Angkor Wat.

Please
or

victoriaaurora · 06/04/2022 18:07

Niyama Private islands in the Maldives with a 20k budget. Or Hawaii. Bliss. Went to Hawaii for honeymoon, it was truly gorgeous. Want to go back for my next big birthday.
Apparently Round Hill in Jamaica is to die for. If Caribbean is your thing, the ladies at Caribtours have been everywhere and helped me out when I was trying to decide where to go. They know the places inside out. Suggest you call them :-)

Please
or

Obelisk · 06/04/2022 18:51

Thanks so much, everyone. I am googling all these ideas.

OP posts:
Please
or

LolaSparkle · 06/04/2022 18:54

Hawaii! It's on my bucket list for sure! 🌺

Please
or

TortolaParadise · 07/04/2022 22:11

Caribbean cruise!

Please
or

TizerorFizz · 07/04/2022 22:35

@Obelisk
I might sound a bit rude, but some of the ideas above won’t be that memorable or different. Huge cruise ships just are not great for a number of reasons! I’ve been on a few when DC were little but we outgrew them.

A holiday you might remember would be a weeks trip on a boat around some of the Galápagos Islands. There is nowhere like it. See if you can spend some time in Ecuador first.

I agree Japan is amazing. Your budget might not stretch to 3 weeks but 2 is incredible.

The Caribbean is certainly a possibility. Do look into getting a private crewed yacht. We did this out of Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. These islands are idyllic and perfect for sailing. A million times nicer than cruising even if you cannot afford 2 weeks.

Look at safaris in Zambia or Botswana. Look at Namibia too. Lots to see and memorable. South Africa is special too but our summer is winter there.

We have taken our teens to all the above except Japan. DH and me went child free!

Please
or

rookiemere · 08/04/2022 10:13

Canada !
Fly to Vancouver and visit Vancouver Island and Whistler then drive or fly up to the Rockies and fly back from Calgary. Loads of outdoor stuff for teens to do and amazing scenery.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?