Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Ideas for San Diego please

14 replies

Flatandhappy · 28/03/2022 00:12

DH and I will be in San Diego for a week in May, he is at a conference so I will have some days by myself. Any ideas for sightseeing trips or things to do there? Last time we were in New Orleans and I did a creole cooking class and there were lots of day trip options but I can’t really see anything obvious for San Diego. I am too much of a wimp to hire a car and drive myself on American freeways 😊

OP posts:
Please
or

Anoooshka · 28/03/2022 01:26

A cruise of the harbour? Or maybe a Mexican cookery class? Tijuana day trip (I think you can do a group trip). Food tour. Whale watching.

Please
or

Pacidove · 28/03/2022 01:42

Take a wander around Seaport Village, loads of cute shops and restaurants. There is also a really good segway tour of the city - a novel way to explore and maybe see some things you'd like to go back to. The zoo is awesome, as is the zoo safari park.

Please
or

episcomama · 28/03/2022 02:18

We just got back yesterday! Do the Old Town Trolley Tour to get your bearings. Seaport village is fun, Balboa Park is massive and hosts lots of museums. Go to Coronado Island for the day. La Jolla and Mission Beaches are lovely. Little Italy is a great spot to wander at night.

Please
or

Flatandhappy · 28/03/2022 04:09

Lots of ideas, thank you. I am usually a super researcher before trips but this time I think my fear of yet another planned trip being scuppered by COVID (three last year) has made my brain shut down! We are in Aus so have only recently been able to leave the country again.

OP posts:
Please
or

Figgyboa · 28/03/2022 05:09

There's so many things to see and do in San Diego...the world famous zoo and safari park, beautiful beaches, balboa park, Coronado, Tijuana is 25 mins from downtown. Old Town, winieries, the list goes on. The hop on/off trolley tour is a great way to visit all the sites.

Please
or

LaurenKelsey · 28/03/2022 05:17

There are excellent ideas mentioned above. I’ve been there many times and it’s a lovely place! I would skip Tijuana though.

Please
or

bluebird3 · 28/03/2022 12:02

There's an aircraft carrier you can tour. Also the San Diego zoo is ranked the best in the USA. Wandering down by the water, grabbing cocktails and lunch at a restaurant overlooking the water, just generally enjoying the beach is also great.

Please
or

Flatandhappy · 29/03/2022 06:47

Thank you. @LaurenKelsey I am curious why you say skip Tijuana. Tbh DH has said he doesn’t want to cross more borders than he has to so we are unlikely to go (he also mentioned kidnapping) but I quite fancied it.

OP posts:
Please
or

TheAbbotOfUnreason · 29/03/2022 06:51

USS Midway is interesting.

San Diego zoo and the Birch Aquarium at Scripps La Jolla.

Coronado Island.

Balboa Park - lots of museums there.

Please
or

LaurenKelsey · 29/03/2022 07:32

@Flatandhappy - I recommended skipping TJ because it doesn’t really have much to offer and crime over there is a concern. I’ve crossed the border a few times with friends who live in San Diego and afterward felt like it was a wasted trip. Also, crossing the border back to San Diego can be take several hours. Have a fun trip!

Please
or

trilbydoll · 29/03/2022 07:41

The TJ/San Diego border can be a complete nightmare, especially driving but even on foot you can queue for several hours to come back into the US. If you're going to cross the border skip Tj and keep going down to the beaches at Ensenada (you'd definitely need a car for that though, it's a long way!)

USS Midway is good, definitely do the trolley tour (I've done it about 3 times!) - you can either get the boat over to Coronado or just hop off the trolley tour and back on a later one.

I love San Diego, it is a great city to just wander around.

Please
or

Flatandhappy · 30/03/2022 03:54

Thank you everyone, yes it sounds like border crossings are best avoided. We have a fabulous zoo in Sydney so I want to do some more research about the San Diego one to see what is there - love the idea of a trolley tour and it is nice to hear that it is a good place to wander and find nice food which are my favourite holiday pastimes!

OP posts:
Please
or

Oriunda · 30/03/2022 08:48

Second Birch Acquarium. We really enjoyed that. Also, La Jolla is worth a visit (near Birch). Lovely town and there’s a spot where you walk down to see the seals basking on the rocks.

If not eating in hotel every night, thoroughly recommend the Marine Room restaurant right on the beach. The usp is (if timing with tide) having the waves wash right over the building.

Please
or

UglyModernWindows · 30/03/2022 11:59

We spent a week in San Diego in 2019 and we all loved it so much.

Our favourite place was Coronado Island too, we didn't hire the iconic day beds at the hotel (you don't need to be a hotel guest to hire them) but would do so if we ever go back.

The trolley tour was good too and fun way to see the city.

Old Town maybe bit touristy but there were lot to see and explore and it's a treat for the eyes. There was also an area where local independent artists had a workshops, I loved mooching through them.

USS Midway was bit meh for me but my DC really enjoyed it. I loved the retired service personnel there though, they charm the pants of you!!

Seals at LaJolla, bit of a pot luck if you see any but they are fun to watch and it's a very pretty place as it is.

Our local Air B&B host adviced against the trip to Tijuana, stating the same that the return journey will take hours. We decided not to go. We did visit the wall though as our DC wanted to see it. It's an easy drive and it's on a beautiful desolate location.

We had to choose between the zoo and the Balboa park and chose the park. It's a nice park but nothing to write home about Grin. Should have gone to the zoo instead!

Hillcrest Farmers Market! Go if you have time. There is lot of street food and local artists, coffee producers and nicknack sellers. This was one of my favourite mornings.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?