Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Budapest - what not to miss?

38 replies

Houseplantmad · 27/03/2022 14:12

We are going next week with DCs, aged 19 and 18. I think I've got the main sights covered but have a couple of queries:
The thermal baths - I was thinking the Rudas baths for an evening, the Szechenyi baths for another day but have just read that the Gellert ones are beautiful. Any advice please?
DCs are both into retro/vintage clothing so any pointers there would be great too thanks.
The House of Terror - is it any good? The reviews on Tripadvisor are terrible. Has anyone been recently and is it worth it? We'd either do this or some sort of tour - either walking or bus - around the city.
Please also let me know of any other off the beaten track or worthwhile activities that would be interesting to do. We are happy to walk a lot!

OP posts:
Please
or

Houseplantmad · 27/03/2022 14:16

Sorry, meant to also ask - we like going to markets (food and otherwise) so any recommendations too please!

OP posts:
Please
or

MadameFantabulosa · 27/03/2022 14:24

You should go to the Central/Great Market Hall. It’s amazing. Cakes in Cafe Gerbeaud on Vorosmartyter, which is close to the main shopping street.

Please
or

MadameFantabulosa · 27/03/2022 14:27

If you have time, a trip to Szentendre is worth doing.

Please
or

YetAnotherSpartacus · 27/03/2022 14:32

The Gellert baths are stunning. Well worth it.

I really enjoyed this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_Park

The Market Hall is lovely too.

Fisherman's Bastion and the walks along there give fantastic views of Pest.

I filed 'House of Terror' under gimmicky and possibly offensive shite.

Please
or

Caspianberg · 27/03/2022 14:33

The old town on the other side of the river up were the castle is Worth visiting the museums and cafes for cake.

Be aware that Budapest stations and other areas might be busy right now as it’s a main hub for refugees from Ukraine. So there might be detours or certain areas closed for other uses atm.

Otherwise I would say buy an unlimited tram/tube pass. It’s cheap, and easier than trying to buy a ticket every time.

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 27/03/2022 14:51

Thanks all and @MadameFantabulosa, I'd forgotten about the market hall - glad you reminded me. I've already planned a day trip to Szentendre so am glad to hear that's a good choice, thank you.
Thanks @YetAnotherSpartacus that's what I was wondering about the House of Terror. Memento Park sounds a great alternative. Thank you for the tip.

OP posts:
Please
or

YetAnotherSpartacus · 27/03/2022 14:58

The HoT was quite controversial when I was there a while ago. Some locals considered it to be their terror and pain dressed up for touristic voyerism. Others did speak of being moved by it.

I decided to give it a miss.

How long are you there for?

Please
or

Tinkletwat · 27/03/2022 15:00

The Gellert baths are incredible, we had a brunch there beforehand on a Sunday and loved it. Then went past the Szechenyi baths that evening and thought it would have been great to be there later in the day/dark as we went in Sept. A trip to the sights in Buda are worth it. Love the place, keen to go back to explore more of Hungary. Keep the kids off the pálinka.

Please
or

FlorhamPark · 27/03/2022 15:13

Keep the kids off the pálinka.** 😂😂😂

Mine loved the ruin bars and eating at a street food market called Karavan.

Please
or

AnnaMagnani · 27/03/2022 15:17

I went to Memento Park. It is very well presented with a well written leaflet, I think I recall you need to buy it separately. Very moving.

I'd also recommend the Synagogue which is beautiful and you are shown around on a tour, our guide spoke about how Jewish people really felt living under Orban which was a contrast to some of the v slick looking Budapest tourism.

Finally cake. Budapest is not short of historic cafes all with their own cake specialty and you should plan a cafe and cake stop in every day.

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 27/03/2022 15:21

This is all great stuff, thank you! I've just google Palinka and I think it's me that will have to watch myself!
@YetAnotherSpartacus we are there just under 5 days. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Day 1
Memento Park - tour 11.40am
Castle + art gallery?
Fisherman’s Bastion
Rudas night baths

Day 2
Lehel Market Hall
Central market hall
Gellert baths

Day 3 (Sunday)
Szimpla Sunday Farmers' Market
Day trip to Szentendre

Day 4
Parliament (already booked)
Margaret Island
Shoes on the Danube
Szechenyi baths?

Then we have another day until mid afternoon before we'd have to leave for the airport.

OP posts:
Please
or

Phormiumjester2 · 27/03/2022 15:23

Is Margaret Island still fun with good street food? And Hero Square was impressive.
St Stephen's shrivelled hand was macabre but compulsive viewing! The basilica was very narrow and steep to climb.
And yes, baths!

Please
or

Shmithecat2 · 27/03/2022 15:31

Walk up Gellert Hill to the Citadella and have lunch with amazing views. Its a bit of a hike, but worth it. Just walk everywhere, there's so much to see architecturally - the Parliament building is incredible, and you can do a tour of it. Eat at Déryné - whether it's breakfast, lunch, dinner or just for coffee and cake. Wonderful place. Obvs visit the castle, ride the funicular. Be prepared for the Shoes on the Danube. I found it incredibly hard.

Enjoy! I'm very envious, it's one of my favourite places in the world. Pic from the small bar at the top of the Fisherman's Bastion.

Budapest - what not to miss?
Please
or

Houseplantmad · 27/03/2022 15:38

Thanks @Shmithecat2 - that picture has got my very excited about the trip. Great tip re walking up the hill.

OP posts:
Please
or

Caspianberg · 27/03/2022 16:10

You should hire the 4 person bikes to explore Margaret’s Island, as it’s huge. You can hire as soon as you get off the tram stop.

Please
or

junipermerry · 27/03/2022 16:13

We went with teenagers just before Covid struck. Had a fabulous time.

Don't miss the ruin bars, fantastic and very cool. www.offbeatbudapest.com/top10/best-ruin-bars-budapest/
Budapest is also the Escape Room capital of the world. We did a couple, great fun.

Please
or

WineNoMore20 · 27/03/2022 16:14

Download the Bolt app, easy and cheap Uber.
The New York hotel is amazing for cake/ coffee, wise to book as always long queues.

Please
or

Lampzade · 27/03/2022 16:19

I have travelled extensively.
However, Budapest is one of my favourite places. I have been there many times.
Have a great time Op

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 27/03/2022 16:23

Thank you all and @Lampzade - that's great to hear. Reading all of these posts has made me very excited and grateful we are finally going to get there.

OP posts:
Please
or

Greybutterfly · 27/03/2022 16:48

Szimpla kert is a must !! It’s the original ruin bar but there are so many with different themes. Ruin bars and thermal spas are a must

Please
or

OhLookCriedNed · 27/03/2022 16:52

Definitely avoid the House Of Terror. It's bloody awful, time consuming, and a complete waste of money.
Make sure you get a chimney cake (or five) whilst you're there. 😃

Please
or

bahamburger · 27/03/2022 17:28

The pinball museum is very cool if you're in to them!

Please
or

junipermerry · 27/03/2022 17:33

I'd forgotten about the chimney cakes!!

Please
or

thefootballcoacheswife · 27/03/2022 21:16

We went last week. The riot bar is worth a visit (teens that age will like it-lots of Cold War retro stuff in terms of decor, very edgy, very cool) and next door Karavan which is a street food market.

Please
or

thefootballcoacheswife · 27/03/2022 21:17

Both in the Jewish quarter I meant to say.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?