Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Nice resort Heraklion side of Crete

17 replies

Anjelika · 24/03/2022 20:01

Flew to Chania a few years ago and stayed near Rethymnon which we loved. Would love to go back but fly into Heraklion and stay that side of the island. Any recommendations for nice resorts? Will hire a car but would be good to be near a town with nice shops and restaurants to visit of an evening.

OP posts:
Please
or

No1HolidayPlanner · 24/03/2022 20:40

Elounda.. it is absolutely lovely.. boat trips to Spinalonga.. great restaurants.. lovely vibe.. can't wait to go back 😊

Please
or

Babysharkdoodoodood · 24/03/2022 20:51

Just be warned Heraklion is possibly the worst airport in the world. We don't go via there anymore due to its sheer crap-ness.

Please
or

Africa2go · 24/03/2022 23:06

Agree with Elounda.

Please
or

RusholmeRuffian · 25/03/2022 12:41

Also agree with Elounda

Please
or

itssquidstella · 25/03/2022 12:50

We stayed in Chersonissos (between Heraklion and Malia ) in October. It has a strip but is less 'lads on tour' than Malia; the old village is beautiful too.

Please
or

dontblameme · 25/03/2022 12:55

Agia Pelagia was lovely, warmest sea I've ever swum in.

Please
or

TakeMeToYourLiar · 25/03/2022 13:22

I loved The Island hotel

Please
or

HoldMeCloseImTryingToDanceHere · 25/03/2022 13:25

Agree with the Elounda suggestions.
Lovely!

Please
or

KELLOGSspeck · 25/03/2022 13:30

@Babysharkdoodoodood

Just be warned Heraklion is possibly the worst airport in the world. We don't go via there anymore due to its sheer crap-ness.

Ohhh no I'm due to go in June I think that's the airport too.
Please
or

blockbustervideo · 25/03/2022 14:16

St Nicolas Bay resort.

Elounda and St Nicolas are (or certainly were) always rated the top 2 hotels in Crete.

Please
or

Fundays12 · 25/03/2022 14:33

Elounda is nice.

Please
or

rooinspace · 25/03/2022 14:36

We went to Daios Cove a few years ago which was amazing! It has its own beach and many rooms with their own pool. It’s a little out of Agios Nikolaos which is a fab town. We hired a car and went to Elounda, Heraklion and Malia and personally preferred Agios Nikolaos.

Please
or

FinallyHere · 25/03/2022 14:48

Agree with PP saying that Chania airport is much more pleasant than Heraklion

The centurion part is one of my most favourite places on earth. Just lovely.

Please
or

Changes17 · 25/03/2022 14:52

@Babysharkdoodoodood

That's very funny. We are going back to Crete in the summer and are going back via ferry to Athens specifically to not have to fly out of Heraklion! And also to go to Athens, though..
Please
or

Paeonia · 26/03/2022 12:45

The airport at Heraklion has been expanded and renovated in the recent years. It's better now but still not great. I would also second Agia Pelagia, especially for families. It has lots of cafes, restaurants, the bay is not affected by strong winds and the surrounding beaches are lovely.

Please
or

Anjelika · 26/03/2022 16:57

Thanks for all the suggestions. As a family of 5 we usually get a villa as 2 rooms in a hotel or apartment block cost about the same but looking at them, prices have gone up immensely. If anyone knows of anything in the Elounda area please feel free to PM me. Happy to return the favour of anyone is looking for somewhere similar in Rhodes.

OP posts:
Please
or

Africa2go · 28/03/2022 11:04

Have a look at the Elounda Krini Hotel or the Elounda Garden Suites - they used to be managed / owned by the same company. Small, family run options with inter-connecting rooms / family suites.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?