Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Sharm El Sheikh in June .. and safety?

20 replies

Sandrine1982 · 12/03/2022 09:23

Hi there

We're thinking about a 7-night all inclusive holiday in Egypt in early June, with a 2.5 year old.

How safe is Egypt right now? And what's the weather like early June?

Tips greatly appreciated, thanks :)

OP posts:
Please
or

Sandrine1982 · 12/03/2022 09:50

The other option is Ibiza which is £200 more expensive .... can't decide :(

OP posts:
Please
or

nearlyspringyay · 12/03/2022 10:10

Weather amazing.

For £200 I'd probably go with Ibiza, but won't be hot.

Please
or

Sandrine1982 · 12/03/2022 15:44

Have people been in Egypt recently? Is it ok in terms if safety?

OP posts:
Please
or

youhadmeatjello · 12/03/2022 15:48

We went before Covid and tbh I hated it. My DS is very fair and got so much attention it made me uneasy. It was quite expensive for what it was when we went though. I would definitely choose Ibiza

Please
or

MadameHeisenberg · 12/03/2022 15:49

Weather absolutely boiling, way too hot for my liking in mid-summer. I only ever do ME & N.Africa in spring or autumn. We went to Egypt (Luxor, Aswan) in April and it was 47C.

I want to go to Tunisia but have decided against it for summer as I know I’ll regret it.

Please
or

exLtEveDallas · 12/03/2022 15:55

Haven’t been since Covid, but we have done 8 hols to Egypt, and have never felt unsafe. It is bloody hot though! We always go in summer hols and temps are 40s day and night. June should be cooler, but not much. Our DD was 7 the first time we went and we’ve always seen younger children there, including babies.

Please
or

Cheeseandlobster · 12/03/2022 16:05

I went before covid and would never go back. The weather was gorgeous and hotels are huge but venturing out of the hotel to Nama Bay was the most unsafe I think I have ever felt. A policeman waved his gun at me because I asked another English person for directions rather than him and the men were relentless as I was a single mum with a ds. The food at our hotel was awful unless you ate at the a la carte restaurant and despite being careful I was unwell. The airport was an absolute shambles and I could easily understand how the Russian plane was so easily targeted. Does it have to be here or Ibiza op. How about Turkey? Beautiful country, lovely food and usually hot in June

Please
or

LizzieMacQueen · 12/03/2022 16:10

I'd have thought early June Ibiza is hot enough for a 2 year old. Shorter flight too I expect.

Please
or

Sidge · 12/03/2022 16:15

I didn’t like Sharm at all. Hotel was lovely and very clean but food was not great. Got hassled constantly by people wanting to sell excursions, beauty spa treatments, rides etc.

Beach was inundated with hawkers, Sharm was a shithole. Only good thing was the weather, it was 32 degrees in April.

Please
or

Malariahilaria · 12/03/2022 16:20

I've only had one holiday in Egypt and would be highly unlikely to go again. It was all fine if closeted within resort, hotel or on excursion boats but the constant cat calling and abuse outside of this was horrible. Luxor, valley of the Kings, pyramids are amazing but the disdain from many locals was unpleasant. Not all, some amazing people but overall uncomfortable.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 12/03/2022 16:30

You can hide away in an all inclusive. But if you don't want to do that, Egypt can be hassly. I wouldn't take DD now she's taller. I had a dreadful time in Turkey at a similar age.

Please
or

Doodar · 12/03/2022 16:42

Sharm is a shit hole. I definitely wouldn't go on my own, too many leering men. I went with DH and it made no difference in how aggressive the locals/hotel workers were.

Please
or

alsonotmyname · 12/03/2022 17:42

I've not done sharm but Hurgharda was amazing, I've been a few times and didn't feel any more hassled than any other seaside resort. Dc are fair so got some attention but nothing that felt unsafe, weather in June was lovely

Please
or

LemonMuffins · 12/03/2022 17:45

I wouldn't bother with Sharm, but will return for Valley of Kings at some point.

Please
or

Skinterior · 12/03/2022 17:49

Just back - did Luxor, Aswan and Cairo.

It was safe but we were constantly hassled and everywhere was covered in litter.

I'd pay more and go to Spain

Please
or

BankingOnChange · 12/03/2022 17:52

We thought Sharm was amazing but it's not somewhere I'd go with dc.

Nearly everyone I know (including us) has had a 24/48 hour stomach bug whilst there which is probably the water. Plus it's far, far too hot for comfort (51 degrees in July for us). And I stuck extremely close to DH because the men stare, leer and and whistle openly...it's the only place I've ever been where I felt very unsafe - or certainly would have on my own.

Please
or

coloradoqueen · 12/03/2022 18:02

@nearlyspringyay

Weather amazing.

For £200 I'd probably go with Ibiza, but won't be hot.

I've been to Ibiza and the other Balearics in June and it's been over 30 degrees, how hot do you want it?
Please
or

JamieFrasersBigSwingingKilt · 12/03/2022 18:32

Don't know the price implications but go to Tel Aviv or Eilat instead. You won't be hassled and the climate is very similar.

Please
or

pizzaobsessed · 13/03/2022 13:05

I've been to Sharm El Sheikh in May and it was scorching. I also didn't feel comfortable walking round outside the hotel unless on an organised excursion.
The fact you have a 2.5 year old, I'd be going for Ibiza for fight length and temperature

Please
or

Amelion · 14/03/2022 08:53

Definitely I would go to Ibiza. The weather will be plenty hot but not too hot and overall I think it will feel much safer and more relaxing than Sharm.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?