Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport number anyone?

31 replies

Houseplantmad · 07/03/2022 14:14

We put DS's application in a month ago and travel in 5 weeks time. They've today asked for his dual nationality passport to check the names match. I'm not sure if this is usual but I am worried that if he submits it he won't have any passport to travel on if his British one is delayed. It's his first adult one, which may be relevant.
Does anyone have a good phone number to speak to a human at the passport office please as the email they've sent just has the address for the passport to be sent to?

OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 07/03/2022 15:28

It does say you're supposed to send any passports you're included on.

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 07/03/2022 15:42

I only ever had to submit a full color copy of the other passports not the originals.

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 07/03/2022 17:10

@dementedpixie he's not included on any passports. It's in his own name.

@SofiaAmes thanks. I will do that as am reluctant to part with the original.

OP posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 07/03/2022 17:29

[quote Houseplantmad]@dementedpixie he's not included on any passports. It's in his own name.

@SofiaAmes thanks. I will do that as am reluctant to part with the original. [/quote]
If he's named on the passport he's included on it.

There is a passport advice line

Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 07/03/2022 18:20

You only need to send in a colour photocopy of any other passports you hold. Be sure to include every page from the passport even if they're blank.

Please
or

Houseplantmad · 07/03/2022 18:27

@BackToWhereItAllBegan thank you, that's really helpful.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 07/03/2022 18:53

Please check as we recently applied for new British passports for both DH and DD who have dual nationality
We had to send both passports for both applications and I was under the impression it had to be the original, although I could be wrong

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 08/03/2022 05:25

My dc's have triple citizenship and I've only ever had to send in full color copies (of every page including the blank ones). Double check the passport office website.

Please
or

LinzerTorte · 08/03/2022 07:09

Our DC have dual/triple nationality and I just had to send photocopies of every page of their passports last time I applied.

Our application was then rejected as they didn't have their middle names on their other passports, so we had to reapply for their other passports - making sure their middle names were included this time - and then reapply for their British passports.

I was then able to email scans of their new passports to the team that was dealing with the application so do have an email address, but it's probably not much use to you unless that particular team (in Liverpool) is dealing with your application.

Please
or

SofiaAmes · 08/03/2022 08:12

Ugh. Just remembered that dd's Italian passport doesn't have her middle name as the Italians wouldn't allow it as it's not a saint's name or some such. Wonder if that's going to be an issue when we renew her British passport. She didn't yet have the Italian one when we last did the British one.

Please
or

TigerLilyTail · 08/03/2022 09:03

@SofiaAmes

Ugh. Just remembered that dd's Italian passport doesn't have her middle name as the Italians wouldn't allow it as it's not a saint's name or some such. Wonder if that's going to be an issue when we renew her British passport. She didn't yet have the Italian one when we last did the British one.

I'm interested in this too as my DC are binational but don't have their middle names on their other passport.
Please
or

Cherryblossoms85 · 08/03/2022 09:07

Ah yes well if Germany didn't still have a law that meant children born outside marriage cannot have their father's last name, even if it's the actual name on their British birth certificate, then my eldest would indeed have the same name as in his British passport. Perhaps the UK passport office can discuss this with Germany. Hmm

Please
or

LinzerTorte · 08/03/2022 12:00

@SofiaAmes It was definitely an issue when we renewed the DC's passports two years ago. You can choose whether or not to have your middle names included in an Austrian passport, and DH in all his wisdom- decided there was no need. Not a mistake we'll be making again!

I've just checked the email I had from the passport office at the time, and it says:

"You sent a copy of [DS's] Austrian Passport as evidence to support this application. However, the name shown on the Austrian Passport is different from the name on the previous British Passport and the application form, as it does not show the 2nd forename. For security purposes, we cannot issue a British passport if you hold a passport (British or foreign), travel or ID document in a different name.

For us to issue a passport in the name of [DS], you need to change the name shown on his Austrian Passport and then send it to us. This can be posted or we will accept a colour photocopy of the document ... or you may email it to us ..."

Please
or

ItsOnlyWordsInnit · 08/03/2022 12:18

@SofiaAmes

My dc's have triple citizenship and I've only ever had to send in full color copies (of every page including the blank ones). Double check the passport office website.

Quite, DD1 also has triple and renewed her passport for the first time as an adult last year - colour scans were absolutely fine (she did the whole application digitally, except for sending back her original British passport which had run out anyway). No way would she have left herself without a passport for emergencies!
Please
or

ItsOnlyWordsInnit · 08/03/2022 12:28

@Cherryblossoms85

Ah yes well if Germany didn't still have a law that meant children born outside marriage cannot have their father's last name, even if it's the actual name on their British birth certificate, then my eldest would indeed have the same name as in his British passport. Perhaps the UK passport office can discuss this with Germany. Hmm

Um, they can. I know this because my friends were in that situation, got married when the DC were 6 and 2. The dad does need to be on the birth cert though. Maybe some sort of different situation applied to you.
I think the law changed about 20ish years ago - before that the naming laws were pretty restrictive. Now you can call a child the mother's name or father's name or double barrel.
I still laugh at the civil wedding of my friends: the registrar launched into a huge officious statement about how the kids had taken their father's name before marriage because both parents had agreed to do so, and now after marriage the kids would retain the same surname because it had been chosen as the family name. My mate was gobsmacked that a registrar would come out with such bureaucratic crap at her wedding, and he made it much worse by asking her if she needed an interpreter. Anyway, long story short, I'm not sure why your DC can't take their father's name on a passport.
Please
or

TheAbbotOfUnreason · 08/03/2022 19:32

On renewing a UK passports recently we had to send in the actual passport from the other country.

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 08/03/2022 19:35

Yes I had to send in DDs non-UK passport when renewing her UK passport, as well as the soon-to-be expired UK passport.

Please
or

WaterTheBasil · 08/03/2022 19:45

I've just applied for and got my passport this week. I wasn't asked for my other nationality's passport but I remember when I got the initial email confirmation when I sent in the application they said I might need to if asked.

Please
or

gogohm · 08/03/2022 19:49

I've never sent DD's usa passport to the U.K. passport office

Please
or

gogohm · 08/03/2022 19:52

I don't think they even know she has dual nationality - and the Americans didn't ask to see her British one

Please
or

TheAbbotOfUnreason · 08/03/2022 20:02

The UK renewal forms ask you if you have passports from other countries, the passport number(s) and then to send it/them in along with your expiring/expired UK passport. We did ring up and query the need for this and were told to send it in.

If you can do it by sending in colour photocopies then that will be much better.

Please
or

BackToWhereItAllBegan · 08/03/2022 20:35

I wonder if it makes a difference where you are applying from? I renewed my UK passport last month while living in the USA and only had to send in a photocopy of my USA passport.
Are the people being asked to send in the originals of their overseas passports living in the UK?

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 08/03/2022 20:37

@BackToWhereItAllBegan

I wonder if it makes a difference where you are applying from? I renewed my UK passport last month while living in the USA and only had to send in a photocopy of my USA passport.
Are the people being asked to send in the originals of their overseas passports living in the UK?

Yes I am in the UK.
Please
or

FreeButtonBee · 08/03/2022 20:40

The instructions say to send the original but I’ve sent colour copies of every page and it was fine. This was last year so relatively recently. Other passport is Irish and it was the first British renewal since I’d had it.

Please
or

LaTomatina · 08/03/2022 20:47

Pretty sure that's it. I had the same thing with my kids' UK passport renewals. The time I did it in the UK, I had to send their other passports too. A year ago I renewed them again from outside the UK and only had to send colour photocopies. It was a total ballache because, as PP have said, it has to be EVERY page, even the blank ones. I have 4 kids, so it took all evening and a stupid amount of printer ink....

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?