Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

AirB&B regular users

3 replies

BrennieGirl · 27/02/2022 16:10

I need an opinion on an apartment.

I have used AirB&B about 6/7 times over the last few years (well pre COVID). Usually for city breaks. I always do loads of research (sometimes on other websites) and read all the reviews etc etc. I’ve been very pleased with my choice every time.

I’m looking for a family holiday place in Crete for September. After hours and hours of searching, I’ve found 3 places that are almost exactly what I’m looking for. I’m kind of favouring one of them in particular but it has no reviews. I’ve never stayed anywhere with no reviews before. The host has 88 other properties and I’d say about 75% of them don’t have reviews. The reviews that are there are generally very good. Does the lack of reviews seem a bit dodgy? Could it be some kind of scam? Or am I being a suspicious old cow??

Obviously if you get a not great place for a 3 night stay, it’s not the end of the world but I really don’t want to take a chance with a 10 day family holiday especially when we haven’t been away since 2019.

I dont want to put up an actual link but I’ll attach a pic of the map view with the name of the town. The apartment is the one on the end of the promontory. If you’ve read this far and can be bothered opening the app that is!

Any advice greatfully received.

AirB&B regular users
OP posts:
Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 27/02/2022 16:17

Don't do it. It's not worth the risk. I've used AirBNB for years but I only ever stay at a property with no reviews is the owner is a superhost (i.e. all their other properties are top rated). The last thing you want to do is be overseas and have nowhere to stay (and or/have to either stay in a total dump or pay an extortionate amount for somewhere new).

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 27/02/2022 16:32

I use Airbnb a few times a year but I would give that a swerve

Please
or

BrennieGirl · 27/02/2022 16:34

That would be my fear - arriving and having nowhere to stay especially since the flight gets in kind of late.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?