Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

3 weeks in portugal....where to go?

5 replies

popsickle555 · 20/02/2022 13:59

We are hoping to have a 3 week trip to Portugal during summer hols (last 3 weeks in August). I haven't been as an adult ever and would love some tips on where to go. DC's are 10 and 7. I appreciate it will be hot so ideally mostly coastal for the breeze but they are pretty good in the heat, have been to Oz, Greece, Spain etc in the heat and managed OK. We usually go out in the mornings and spend afternoons by pool/at place we are staying.

Can anyone recommend - locations to base ourselves, ideally a week 3 different 'areas'

• Any recommendations for accommodation?

We like nice villas / houses / hotels but also would love a homestay / farm type thing if such a thing exists. Kids would love some other kids around to play with. Ideally not a big hotel with organised activities etc. We have done a lot of french gite stays (with games rooms etc) and the kids loved those.

We have one week potentially sorted in Tavira as know someone with a place there but other than that not sure where to start?
OP posts:
Please
or

SorrelForbes · 21/02/2022 13:13

I was going to suggest Tavira! However, the surrounding area is lovely, Monte Gordo, Castro Marim etc.

Please
or

dreamingofsun · 21/02/2022 19:55

we like cabanas near tavira and also lagos which is right down to the west.

Please
or

popsickle555 · 21/02/2022 20:17

Thank you I will look up these places. We do have a family friend in Cascais so that's also potentially somewhere we could spend some time (and stay for free!)

OP posts:
Please
or

tpmumtobe · 21/02/2022 20:22

Odeceixe is lovely. Surfy beach but with a river inlet behind it so has a nice mix of activities for little kids and bigger ones. We spent a few days there on the way to The Algarve from Lisbon, wish we'd stayed longer.

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 21/02/2022 20:51

@SorrelForbes

I was going to suggest Tavira! However, the surrounding area is lovely, Monte Gordo, Castro Marim etc.

If you stay in this area you can pop over the border into Spain and visit Ayamonte and Isla Canela for a change.
We often do that but in reverse - stay in Ayamonte and visit Castro Marim. There is a medieval festival in Castro Marim in August (used to be anyway), which is fantastic
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?