Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Flying into Split. 4 days - Where to stay?

17 replies

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 20/02/2022 11:31

Just that really. We’ve booked cheap flights for august. 4/5 days. Have looked at hotels and Airbnb and the choice is pretty overwhelming, with some beautiful apartments and hotels.

It’s just dp and I, looking for relax, food, nice scenery, maybe a boat trip? Looked at Split itself and Podstrana, but have no real idea tbh. Don’t want to be travelling too far from airport as we aren’t there for that long.

Any suggestions appreciated

OP posts:
Please
or

mrspk · 20/02/2022 13:54

We stayed at Radisson Blu on the outskirts of Split. Lovely hotel, walkable to Split, but a long walk, over an hour. Split is a great city I loved it.

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 21/02/2022 07:48

Thanks, that looks nice:

Just trying to decide whether we want to be in Split or are happier somewhere out with a day trip in. Want to do national park and an island so probably not going to have loads of time. Not sure whether waking an hour into Spilt in August will be bearable either 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

AnyFucker · 21/02/2022 07:59

Podstrana is a 20 min bus journey to the centre of Split. The service is good and will also take you the other way along the coast if you want to explore further afield. Your time is a bit limited for that though

There isn’t much at Podstrana itself, just a few beach bars and low key restaurants. The long thin strip of beach is lovely, but very crowded in August.

I wouldn’t plan to walk too far, particularly in the daytime

Personally, in your circumstances, I would choose one of the many apartments in Split itself. You are well placed then to explore the gorgeous compact city/town and very easy to get regular crossings out to the various islands

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 21/02/2022 12:56

That’s what I was thinking tbh, although the draw of a hotel with a lovely pool to slink back to in the afternoon is appealing. There are some stunning apartments in the old town though.

We’ve got a few holidays booked this year and I think it would be easier to decide whether this is a city break or chill out holiday and then find accommodation. I think I’d be happy doing 1 or 2 days in Split, 1 at national park and 1 on island tour…

OP posts:
Please
or

beggsie · 21/02/2022 13:00

Take a look at Brown Beach House in Trogir, over the bridge from Split. It's lovely and well situated for Split and Trogir itself is lovely too. Having said that, the Radisson Blu is also great with a nice beach bar you can swim directly in the sea from.

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 21/02/2022 13:08

Bar you can swim into from the sea you say???? SOLD

OP posts:
Please
or

PinkPlantCase · 21/02/2022 13:13

I’d get a ferry to one of the islands. Hvar is beautiful but has some night life, there’s others that are a bit quieter

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 21/02/2022 13:45

And just stay on an island instead of Split?

(((Even more confused))))

I guess although I’m happy to travel a bit I really want to make most of the time and not waste jt travelling. Flight gets in 20.30 on Wed and leaves 11.00 on Sunday so we really in have 3 days. Which is crap actually.

OP posts:
Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 21/02/2022 13:47

Hadn’t actually realised that. So 3 days. That probably changes things a bit. 1 day Split, 1 day boat, 1 day National park. No time for lazing by a pool, so no point in that. Need to be in Old Town I think?

OP posts:
Please
or

Topbird29 · 21/02/2022 14:07

Split is lovely. We went years ago - stayed in an apartment. The harbour front is nice. Our favourite memory was going onto town with a rucksack with wine, and sharp little knife, getting bread, Isle of pag cheese and white, perfectly ripe peaches and walking up into marjan (big wooded hill area) and eating our goodies. Went in sep and was hot then. Think there was a bar up there too, which was very welcome. Diocletians Palace is also worth a look. We also did day trip to ston and had oysters there ( that may have been from dubrovnik when stayed there though). Local buses are good though.

Please
or

Topbird29 · 21/02/2022 14:15

And there is a restaurant called kod joze - does the most amazing grilled sea bream. Simply grilled on bbq, but great!

Please
or

squashyhat · 21/02/2022 14:16

I read the subject as flying into spit and wondered what storm Franklin was about to throw at us Grin

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 22/02/2022 08:17

Well.

Changed the flights last night. Instead of flying wed night we are going first thing Tuesday morning, so get 2 extra days. Really. Happy, 3 days was going to be a waste

So. Back to planning,

Need to decide between old town apartment without pool or hotel bit further out with pooo and space to chill on an afternoon

OP posts:
Please
or

Bideyinn · 22/02/2022 08:22

The Diocletian palace is amazing, I would definitely stay there if I was going for a few days.

Please
or

Wowzel · 22/02/2022 08:27

Split is wonderful.

We went to various other islands when we went - Bol, Hvar and Vis. There are loads of lovely restaurants and bars.

Please
or

fussychica · 23/02/2022 14:37

Stayed in a great Airbnb outside Split with amazing views and took the very regular and reliable bus into the city as part of a month touring. Split can get very busy and very hot. Def take the ferries to some of the islands which are amazing. Mind you Croatia is just full of amazing views pretty much everywhere. The Plitvic Lakes are amazing but get packed quite early even out of the main tourist season. Even though we had nearly a month in the country I would definitely return as there is so much to see.

Have a wonderful trip.

Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 23/02/2022 22:09

That’s really helpful thank you!

There’s some stunning properties on Airbnb

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?