Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Anyone going on holiday to Canada this year?

16 replies

Hotchocolate19 · 19/02/2022 15:49

We are thinking about going on holiday to Canada in the summer ( had to cancel in 2020)- Vancouver, Rocky Mountaineer, Jasper and Banff and wondered if many people from the UK are booking holidays for Canada this year.

We are a bit apprehensive about the Covid tests, filling in the forms before going etc - it seems a bit complicated.

Also, we would be on the train for two days and various tours by coach so worried about catching Covid, although we are fully vaccinated. Maybe, we are worrying too much!!!

OP posts:
Please
or

mrsrobin · 21/02/2022 12:58

I am not going to Canada this year - but I did go last year. It does seem like a whole load of hassle, but ultimately we had to:

• Be double vaccinated (they have a list of what vaccs are accepted) - I know nothing about children, you would have to check
  • Have a PCR 72 hrs before travel (I think they may be changing this to either a PCR or a lateral flow).
  • Get a visa - electronic one - easy online, about £5
  • Fill in their app - ArriveCan - 72 hrs before and upload your vacc details including scanning the documentation.

The worst think I had to contend with was the miserable staff on the Air Canada flight! Good luck :)
Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 21/02/2022 18:51

@mrsrobin Thanks for your reply. We booked the holiday this afternoon. A bit apprehensive but hopefully things will go ok. Unfortunately ,booked with Air Canada but there wasn’t any other choice from Edinburgh !!

We are fully vaccinated and hoping they drop some other requirements before we go.

OP posts:
Please
or

mrsrobin · 21/02/2022 19:04

[quote SG90Y2hvY29sYXRlMTldKipAmrsrobin** Thanks for your reply. We booked the holiday this afternoon. A bit apprehensive but hopefully things will go ok. Unfortunately ,booked with Air Canada but there wasn’t any other choice from Edinburgh !!

We are fully vaccinated and hoping they drop some other requirements before we go.[/quote]
Great - that will give you something to look forward to :)
I am sure your crew won't be the same miseries that we had! We flew the day Canada "re-opened" so maybe they were extremely stressed!

Please
or

essexgirl58 · 28/02/2022 00:35

I am going this year and am tripple vacinated so ok

Please
or

mamakoukla · 28/02/2022 00:42

No more difficult than flying from Canada into the UK and over to Europe last year! Happy journeys!

Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 28/02/2022 14:26

@mamakoukla- I think I’m just a bit apprehensive as I’m not very tech savvy but I’m sure I’ll work it out!

@essexgirl58 Enjoy your holiday when it comes.

OP posts:
Please
or

Ironingoutthecreases · 28/02/2022 14:37

Yes, we’ve booked, looking forward to it and hopefully more restrictions will be relaxed by then. The random on arrival testing was a worry but you don’t need to quarantine on arrival pending the result anymore, you just need a plan of what you’d do if you tested positive. My head is not going to go there.

Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 28/02/2022 14:47

@Ironingoutthecreases Yes, we were a bit worried about that. We were supposed to be going from Edinburgh- changing at Toronto then onto Vancouver but were worried we be chosen for random testing at Toronto and miss our connecting flight ,so have decided going via Heathrow then onto Vancouver will be less stressful.

You can tell we haven’t been on a plane for three years and worrying (hopefully ) unnecessarily.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

OP posts:
Please
or

99victoria · 28/02/2022 16:54

We're going in September- very excited. But we went to Greece twice last year and we are off to Italy next month so we are well practised with the forms and tests and not worried at all Smile

Please
or

Ironingoutthecreases · 28/02/2022 17:42

@Hotchocolate19 same here. Your plan sounds sensible. Thank you, hope you have a good time too.

Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 28/02/2022 21:37

@99victoria We have been to Italy several times and love it there. Hope you enjoy both your holidays.

OP posts:
Please
or

lifeuphigh · 17/03/2022 13:34

Hi @Hotchocolate19 I know this is an old thread but I've been trawling through looking for Canada ones! We have booked our flights and I was just trying to sort out ArriveCan.
Running into a bit of an issue though which is that ArriveCan wants the first and second vaccines uploaded and NHS Scotland (I'm assuming you're also in Scotland given Edinburgh local airport... sorry if that's an incorrect assumption) provides a letter with your 2 most recent vaccines, which for us is 2nd dose plus booster. I don't suppose you've looked into this already and got a solution?!
Otherwise I think I'll need to get in touch with someone at ArriveCan.

Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 17/03/2022 15:50

@lifeuphigh Yes, we are in Scotland. No, I didn’t realise this. I haven’t looked at the ArriveCan yet. When are you going on holiday? This sounds like the kind of problem I was anticipating!!

I’ll have a look at the ArriveCan and see if I can find any solution. Please let me know if you find out anything.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 17/03/2022 16:20

@lifeuphigh I’ve managed find paper copies of our first two vaccines so have been able to upload these. That’s not helping you with your problem though.

When I sent for paper copies after our boosters, I presumed it would show the two vaccinations and the booster. I’m glad now I kept the first paper copy.

Have you booked through a travel agent? If so, maybe they’d know what to do. If I find out anything I’ll let you know.

OP posts:
Please
or

Hotchocolate19 · 17/03/2022 16:32

@lifeuphigh Do you have the NHS Scotland Covid App ? My two vaccinations and booster is listed there. If so, could you take a photo of the info there and upload it?

OP posts:
Please
or

lifeuphigh · 17/03/2022 17:38

Oh, good for you putting your paper copies somewhere safe! I’ve hunted and hunted and can’t find ours so have given up slightly. Yes, I have got the app - maybe that’s what I need to do - just screenshot that. I mean the letter I have does specify that the vaccines shown on it are 2/3 and 3/3 so it does imply that I’ve had the first one (!) but I’m terrified of getting all the way there and there being a problem with documents!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?