My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Use our Travel forum for recommendations on everything from day trips to the best family-friendly holiday destinations.

Holidays

Poland - where to go

6 replies

TheLoupGarou · 19/02/2022 11:27

Planning a trip to Poland for later this year - August/September hopefully. We will visit or meet up with BIL&SIL in Warsaw, but would like to see more of Poland as well. 2 adults and kids aged 10,9&6.

Am looking at Gdansk and Baltic coast (this would be our main holiday this year) has anyone been/got recommendations? Is there plenty to do?

Is travelling by rail feasible/straightforward e.g between cities or would we need to hire a car?

Any travel tips and advice much appreciated 🙂

OP posts:
MissAmbrosia · 19/02/2022 12:05

I've been to Wroclaw, Krakow and Zakopane (in the Tatra mountains) and really enjoyed it. Polish trains are fine between the major cities.

QueenCoconut · 20/02/2022 15:55

You can take a train from Warsaw to Gdansk, no problem. Once in Gdańsk you could probably manage without a car using the public transport and the local train connecting Gdansk-Sopot and Gdynia (the so called Tri-city). Sopot is a famous beach resort popular with the celebrities, with a beautiful long pier, one of the longest on the Baltic coast. You could spend a few days in Sopot and just enjoy a lovely beach holiday, taking day trips by train to Gdansk to visit the old town square, some museums and see the pre-war German architecture (the city is stunning and has an Amsterdam-like vibe). It is also walkable within the old town area.
Gdynia has a calmer vibe and is a residential area but a very friendly city too. I think it has a big aquarium you could visit too.

In terms of day trips you could rent a car and visit :

1. the Marlbork castle - it is a UNESCO world heritage site , 13th century castle , one of the biggest in the world
  2. visit the Leba sand dunes - spectacular massive moving sand dunes , it feels like being in the desert!
  3. drive up the Hel peninsula and visit one of the surfing beach resorts , lovely summer vibe - just google some pictures of the peninsula it’s a stunning drive !
  4. go kayaking in Gdańsk , there are family kayaking tours organised daily
MisAnn · 20/02/2022 16:13

I loved gdansk, and sopot. Would highly recommend.

OwlyOctober · 20/02/2022 16:17

We went to Gdansk for a week. We visited a concentration camp and hired a Segway tour (I fell off). Not much else to be honest though it was a cold April.

TheLoupGarou · 20/02/2022 18:47

Thanks so much all - lots to research x

OP posts:
hammerandtong · 20/02/2022 18:51

Krakow is a beautiful city. There are Christmas shops with wonderful old world style ornaments!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.