Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

36 hours - nature and culture. Where?

8 replies

sdra · 17/02/2022 18:35

I'm hoping to have 3 days solo this year away from it all. Hoorah! I think I would like 2 days hiking somewhere, maybe mountainous and then 1 day in a city with lots of culture. Where could I go? Europe appeals but I'd rather not fly if possible....I've just been to Paris and loved it. But maybe somewhere in UK would also work? I quite fancy a 3 day hike along the ridgeway or another long distance trial. What would you do with three days to yourself?!

OP posts:
Please
or

EileenGC · 17/02/2022 23:02

Switzerland? Geneva or Zurich would be accesible by train via Paris I believe. You have the mountains on the doorstep

Or connect to the TGV to Lyon and from there a local train into some mountainous village?

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 18/02/2022 09:45

3 days is more than 36 hours!
You could do 2 days of the West Highland Way from Milgavie and then a day in Glasgow (assuming you could finish day 2 somewhere that you can get back by public transport from).

Please
or

sdra · 18/02/2022 09:53

Oh! Sorry. Tired brian. Yes three days I meant.
I've done the WHW already (lucky me!) but yes I did consider maybe Edinburgh and mountains. Or maybe Ireland?
Switzerland or France may be good.

OP posts:
Please
or

sdra · 18/02/2022 09:53

Tired brian Grin

OP posts:
Please
or

MrsMoastyToasty · 18/02/2022 09:57

It's not mountainous but hilly, but what about the Cotswold Way ending in Bath?

Please
or

lljkk · 18/02/2022 10:49

It's funny because I would have said Lake District had both... just not city culture.
Ditto many tiny Italian or Croatian towns.
Mostar, in Bosnia?

Please
or

EmmaStone · 18/02/2022 11:10

Offa's Dyke and Hereford/Hay on Wye?

SW Coastal path then a day in Exeter?

Please
or

emmathedilemma · 18/02/2022 11:56

You could do 2 days in the Pentland Hills outside Edinburgh - the public bus service will get you to the start of walks from the city centre.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?