Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Resort near Faro airport?

25 replies

Patienceandgrace · 17/02/2022 05:09

Flights booked to Faro. I'm not familiar with Portugal at all and wondering which resort to book a hotel/apt in?

Will be 2 adults and 2dc (8 &3) so want somewhere family friendly.

If you can recommend anywhere that would be great Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

WiseUpJanetWeiss · 17/02/2022 08:05

We love the Quinta do Lago area. It's mainly apartments on resorts with pools, tennis courts, children's play areas etc. We've stayed at Four Seasons Fairways and Four Seasons Country Club, both of which I'd definitely recommend. You can walk out to sand dunes, salt flats, the Ria Formosa nature reserve and the beach along miles of new boardwalk. Bike hire also seems to be very popular.

Having explored further along the coast and inland there are many, many other lovely places that I'd like to try though.

It all depends what you like I suppose.

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 17/02/2022 08:09

How near do you need to be?

We loved Carvoeiro

Please
or

MorningNinja · 17/02/2022 10:04

I second Carvoeiro - beautiful beach, beautiful small town.

Please
or

Sheena130 · 17/02/2022 10:14

What month are you travelling & what price range?
I found the Kids at that age like a heated pool, still do even though they are older, but probably depends what month you are travelling.
There is a lovely indoor pool at Monte Santo in Carvoeiro and lovely accommodation.
We have also stayed at Alfagar village in Albufeira the kids loved it great facilities and loved the indoor pool but in Monte Santo I could sit outdoors and keep an eye on them inside but not in Alfagar.
The Martinhal resort in Sagres is popular but I have never stayed but worth a look.

Please
or

Samanabanana · 17/02/2022 10:14

I echo staying in Quinta do Lago - the four seasons is fab and very family friendly. Some excellent restaurants nearby and the local beach is gorgeous!

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 17/02/2022 10:17

@Sheena130 we stayed at Monte Santo. Loved it. Although dubbed the walk back from town the ‘hateful hill’. Did walk off some calories though!

Please
or

Patienceandgrace · 17/02/2022 21:47

Sorry for the delay in responding, very long day at work.

Thanks for the suggestions, will look at all of them.
To answer the questions, within an hours taxi drive of the airport would be best and wre going for the last week of august.

OP posts:
Please
or

Chocbuttonsandredwine · 17/02/2022 22:40

Tavira is lovely

Please
or

Ihopeyourcakeisshit · 17/02/2022 22:42

Carvoeiro for me too.

Please
or

Sleepyteach · 20/02/2022 07:17

We have a house in Gale (about 10 mins from albufeira) and love the area, lots of great hotels around there, nice restaurants and lots of small beaches as well as one long beach that goes all the way to armacao de pera. About 30-40 mins from the airport. Would recommend sun transfers from the airport, DH has just booked his for the summer and paid €35 for a private transfer.

Please
or

mrspk · 20/02/2022 13:59

Vilamoura is very close to the airport, we normally stay a couple of nights there before travelling on to Alvor (which we prefer), but Vilamoura is a decent choice, lots of bars and restaurants around the marina, and a nice beach. We stay at Blue & Green Lake resort which is a lovely hotel

Please
or

AgathaX · 20/02/2022 14:27

We've stayed at Alvor. Lovely beach and some nice restaurants and bars. Not too busy.

Please
or

Pocolovo · 10/07/2022 10:46

Thought I’d bump this rather than start a new thread after searching.
same question as the op in that i want a resort closest to the airport, but looking for an adult type vibe rather than family friendly.

was thinking of alvor. We’re looking for nice beach, restaurants and generally just a nice chilled vibe. Any suggestions?

Please
or

Costacoffeeplease · 10/07/2022 11:01

I live in Carvoeiro.

Alvor is quite spread out so the town is a bit of a walk to the beach. It has a nice harbour area with a boardwalk and bars and restaurants.

We’re about 45 minutes from Faro, Alvor is a further 15 minutes ish

Please
or

Pocolovo · 10/07/2022 12:41

Costacoffeeplease · 10/07/2022 11:01

I live in Carvoeiro.

Alvor is quite spread out so the town is a bit of a walk to the beach. It has a nice harbour area with a boardwalk and bars and restaurants.

We’re about 45 minutes from Faro, Alvor is a further 15 minutes ish

Thank you. Sounds just what I’m after! Would you recommend any part of Carvoeiro in particular?
would like a hotel or apartment with pool area.
Also to be close to the beach. Thanks

Please
or

Costacoffeeplease · 10/07/2022 12:57

Carvoeiro centre is quite small, and is more apartments and villas than hotels. Right in the centre is the Carvoeiro Plaza, a little further uphill is the Mirachoro Praia and at the top of the hill the Tivoli. The plaza and Tivoli have rooftop bars, and all have pools and are walking distance of the beach.

For apartments, Monte Dourado, Algar Seco, Monte Carvoeiro, Colina Verde are all walking distance of the town and beach. Quinta do Paraíso and Monte Santo are a little further but still walkable. Rocha Brava is nice and is close to Centeanes beach, which is bigger than the town beach and has a beach bar/restaurant. Also Vale do Milho and Areias dos Moinhos.

I had quite a long thread on the area a few years ago which might have some information of interest

Please
or

Costacoffeeplease · 10/07/2022 12:59

Please
or

Pocolovo · 10/07/2022 13:51

Thanks so much @Costacoffeeplease. I’ll have a read!

Please
or

LightDrizzle · 10/07/2022 14:17

We live near the airport but I almost always recommend Alvor, even though it’s pushing at your 1 hour transfer criteria.

It has an atmospheric old town with plenty of bars and restaurants; a beautiful waterfront and boardwalk with views back to the hills of Monchique. The beaches nearest the town are huge, wide and pristine but there are stunning cove beaches with rock formations and nice beach restaurants a good walk or short bike ride from the centre.

Quinta do Lago is very pretty and also has a lovely waterfront boardwalk but it is a very manicured, glitzy, enclave and doesn’t have the tiny bars or immaculate bakeries where a good coffee/ beer and fabulous pastry/ salgado can cost less than 3 euros. We do go to restaurants in Val do Lobo and Quinta but I’d prefer to stay somewhere more Portuguese.

Carvoeiro is also lovely.

Photos of Alvor attached:

Please
or

ihearttc · 27/07/2022 08:35

Just browsing on here and noticed you mentioned Alvor. We are going on holiday there tomorrow, it looks absolutely beautiful!

Please
or

Isittimef0rbedyet · 27/07/2022 11:56

Alvor looks stunning!

Would people recommend hiring a car at Faro airport or taxi to/from hotel? Are taxis available outside the airport?

Please
or

Panatone · 27/07/2022 13:09

@ihearttc Have a great time! Report back please😀.
I am waiting on easyjet to release their summer schedule! for next year.
There are tui packages to the algarve that are decently priced, so might book one of them if easyjet doesn’t get a move on!

Please
or

Olive99 · 27/07/2022 13:20

Can anyone recommend car hire from faro airport?

Please
or

ihearttc · 27/07/2022 14:12

We are going with Tui to an AI in Alvor…Pestana Blue. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Family rooms with a proper twin bedroom if that’s something you need.
DH has been to Portugal many times to play golf but I’ve never been. Less excited about the very early flight from Gatwick when we live 2.5 hours away though!!

Please
or

Molly499 · 27/07/2022 21:53

Car hire might be really expensive. When we were in Quinta do Lago we used Uber for every trip, about 15€ from the airport so very cheap.

Can recommend the Conrad hotel for adults, was an amazing place with fabulous rooms and service.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?