Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Copenhagen and beyond...

8 replies

recycledcat · 07/02/2022 20:22

We can get a very cheap flight to Copenhagen which is tempting, however the flight back is a week later (so probably 4 days more than we need).

Has anyone done train travel from Copenhagen to another city/destination that would allow us to make the most of our first trip to city (and Nordic countries)?

See we can do Malmo and Sweden but happy to be guided if anyone knows places "not to be missed". Not keen on hiring a car as the bulk of driving would fall to me.

The flight back doesn't have to be from Copenhagen if that helps!

OP posts:
Please
or

Terriergrrrrrrrr · 07/02/2022 20:40

Easy to get to Gothenburg from CPH

Please
or

squareofthehypotepotenuse · 07/02/2022 21:37

DFDS run a ferry to Oslo from Copenhagen, the scenery is wonderful and the dinner and breakfast buffet (pre covid at least) was great. You could do one way or a return (they call that a mini cruise)

Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 08/02/2022 04:05

You can catch the train to Billund (we stayed at Lalandia) for the Lego house and (if you’ve got young children) Legoland. Aarhus is another city with a lot to offer.

Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 08/02/2022 07:44

The flights might be cheap but Denmark is not- have you factored that in?

Please
or

recycledcat · 08/02/2022 10:31

Thanks all - looking at map now!

@HermioneWeasley - money not an issue thanks (though bonus to have very cheap flights!)

OP posts:
Please
or

HermioneWeasley · 08/02/2022 12:09

Oh well, in that case I’d definitely do the train to Malmo (I’m a huge fan of “the bridge”).

Not outside Copenhagen, but Tivoli was charming.

Please
or

WindUpBird · 08/02/2022 18:11

A few years ago we flew to Billund, for the Lego House, then travelled ‘across country’ to Copenhagen in a week. We did a 2-day canoeing trip, stayed in Silkeborg and also Roskilde. Wish we had also gone to Aarhus…Lots to see and do!

Please
or

NoMoreLimbo · 09/02/2022 15:03

Just outside Copenhagen is Louisiana. A modern art museum but so much more. louisiana.dk/en/ It is accesible by train from Copenhagen. Even if you travel with young children that may not be that into art there are is a playground and immersive experiences. I went pre covid. You can easily spend a whole day there. About 20 minutes across the bridge to Malmö which has been mentioned. Plenty to see and do here too. You can easily walk from the central station into the center of town. Nice beaches outside of Copenhagen and Malmö alike if that suits the time of year you are going. A short distance with train from Malmö is Lund another city with a lot of history. If you are not tied to one particular hotel I would spend a few nights in Copenhagen then some in south Sweden. Then just hop on the train back to Copenhagen airport which is super easy

Please
or