Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Dorset and Devon stays.

7 replies

Distant01 · 02/02/2022 16:31

We have a two week road trip planned for July.
Two adults and one 17 year old DS.
So far, we have booked Blackpool 3 nights for the Pleasure Beach, Alton Towers area 3 nights. This is for DS.
The rest of the time we'd like to use exploring around the Dorset and Devon area, so I'm hoping for suggestions of nice towns/villages to visit. Perhaps using somewhere as a base to explore from.
We like seaside towns, scenery, beaches, places with nice cafes/restaurants, museums and activities for an active 17 year old.
We tend to stay in hotels/b&bs and have a car.
All suggestions welcomed.

OP posts:
Please
or

ShanghaiDiva · 02/02/2022 16:38

I really like Lyme Regis and Sidmouth.
Dartmouth is also lovely: various walking trails through the town, castle, river trip, visit to Agatha Christie’s house at Greenaway etc.
Durdle door and lulworth cove and combine with Weymouth or Dorchester.

Please
or

Tal45 · 02/02/2022 16:53

South Devon - Bigbury/Bantham beaches, Dartmoor for climbing tors, Plymouth for the Barbican and restaurants or Dartmouth.

Please
or

Distant01 · 02/02/2022 18:32

Thank you both. I'll check those out. They sound like lovely places to visit.

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 02/02/2022 18:38

Corfe Castle is a nice village with lots of accommodation options, a National Trust castle and Dorset Adventure Park for your DS! It’s close to Swanage which is a Victorian-style seaside resort with sandy beach and also a steam railway.

Please
or

crispinglovershighkick · 02/02/2022 18:45

Bridport - busy Saturday market, good cafes and restaurants, small museum, about a mile from West Bay.

Please
or

Funf · 04/02/2022 19:37

Some great ideas but why not travel Blackpool to Dorset Via Liverpool and North Wales?
www.donthibernate.co.uk/liverpool/
Take DS on Dock speed boat trip its fantastic

www.donthibernate.co.uk/route-1-llandudno-from-m62-m56/

www.donthibernate.co.uk/conwy/

Then down the coast to south wales?www.donthibernate.co.uk/tenby-saundersfoot-amroth/

Please
or

Distant01 · 06/02/2022 21:37

Thanks for your suggestions @Funf. We did Wales last year which was fantastic. We stayed in Llandudno and Cardiff and did day trips to Caernarfon, Portmerion and Aberystwyth, but I'll check out your suggestions and we may add them to the list.

OP posts:
Please
or