Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Bali

11 replies

SSMH · 28/01/2022 19:51

Anyone planning to go to Bali this year? If so, when? Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

cardy1969 · 28/01/2022 20:51

We're considering it. Went 4 years ago and it was amazing so would love to go back.

Please
or

SSMH · 28/01/2022 21:27

@cardy1969

We're considering it. Went 4 years ago and it was amazing so would love to go back.

Whereabouts did you visit when you went last?
I've been keeping up to date with their restrictions and it's taken a while but things seem to be easing slowly. I'm hoping by summer they will be open properly with minimal restrictions. I don't want to book until I know we can definitely go!
OP posts:
Please
or

SSMH · 29/01/2022 19:16

Bump Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

maz82 · 05/02/2022 20:51

I'm debating Bali or Thailand for honeymoon in oct/Nov. Not been to either so hoping for a few suggestions.

Please
or

glitterfarts · 05/02/2022 21:08

Don't go last half of November unless you like being mobbed by drunk school leavers.
Google schoolies: it's Australian spring break.

Please
or

ShanghaiDiva · 05/02/2022 21:10

Not planning on going this year, but have been to Bali in August, stayed in Ubud.
Avoid Kuta.

Please
or

Fedupofballs · 05/02/2022 23:04

We’re hoping to go to Bali/Lombok July and august. Everything booked, but cancellable. Just watching to see what reopening looks like…

Please
or

Zodlebud · 06/02/2022 09:51

We have tried the last two summers to go but covid put pay to that and there’s no sign that Indonesia is going to open borders any time soon. We struggled to get the money back from a major hotel chain as the hotel was still open and they were arguing it wasn’t their fault we couldn’t get there……….. All resolved now though but it took 13 months.

There’s also no direct flights from the U.K. and the cities that have connecting flights are also not permitting tourists (Singapore, Hong Kong, KL).

We have written off going for another couple of years as a result.

Please
or

agapanthus1979 · 06/02/2022 12:57

@Zodlebud we've always connected via Dubai, so that will probably be OK now.
Op, we tend to go Oct. As other posters have said, we avoid Kuta. We like the North. Much quieter but beautiful.

Please
or

SheriffCallie · 06/02/2022 16:20

Can’t comment on the covid situation but we’ve been to Bali in previous years. As others have said, avoid Kuta. We flew in late and just needed a place a sleep for one night close to the airport. No sleep was had, our room throbbed all night long with the beat from speakers everywhere.
We stayed in Ubud, Sanur and Amed, and all were lovely. Amed was my favourite, it’s quite remote, had only a few shops, restaurants, etc along a dirt track but we were able to snorkel off the beach over the most amazing reef. We did that every day for hours when we were there. It may be more developed now though? Seminyak was also lovely, quite touristy with a good range of shops and restaurants.
We’d love to go back.

Please
or

Wanderinglife · 06/02/2022 18:51

We've provisionally booked for September, just like we had last year.
Please, please ensure all the hotels you book are free cancellation and/or refundable, even if they are £20-30 more expensive - you'll save on the costs while you're there (it's very cheap).

I've been monitoring the situation closely and I'm still unconvinced it will be properly open to tourism this year. Indonesia will likely have a corridor system set up where only specific countries can enter, or restrict Bali to certain tourist hotspots (Kuta, Seminyak, Ubud etc), meaning some of the gems on the island are off limits.

Please
or