Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Build your own package - Costa Brava

21 replies

drspouse · 23/01/2022 20:06

We would really prefer a package for next summer, normally we book a lovely villa or old town apartment (Nice has been our favourite) but we have been burned with travel restrictions changing and owners refusing to refund.
The main operators are Tui, Thomas Cook and Jet2 but they all have massive hotels and apartment blocks and our DS really struggles with crowds, and we'd prefer a less busy resort and a villa where we can possibly have 3 bedrooms so the DCs don't give us angst!
Is it possible to create your own villa package?

OP posts:
Please
or

Funkyslippers · 24/01/2022 13:44

Try onthebeach.com. I haven't looked at Costa Brava but we've booked Portugal and there were several places with not too many apartments. You'd be paying alot more for villas but I found onthebeach.com much cheaper than Tui (we saved £2,000).

Please
or

drspouse · 24/01/2022 16:23

Thanks - we are really not resort people - what's the least resort-y resort?

OP posts:
Please
or

justaweeone · 24/01/2022 16:37

Have a look at villa plus

Please
or

drspouse · 24/01/2022 16:42

@justaweeone

Have a look at villa plus

I did look but they just do villas I think. No packages.
OP posts:
Please
or

justaweeone · 24/01/2022 16:48

I thought it was classed as a package as you used to also book your flights with then and it was abta protected. James villas also used to be the same. Also I think British Airways also do villa holidays

Please
or

BarbaraofSeville · 24/01/2022 18:38

Have you looked at Jet2villas?

Packages of Jet2 flights, hire car and a villa (the clue is in the name Smile.

I'd be wary of their hire car provision (I'm very picky about where I hire cars from in Spain in particular because of all the excess bollocks, but if you want a package, it's a compromise you'll have to put up with).

Please
or

drspouse · 24/01/2022 19:27

I'm not sure we want a car - the issue is cancellation of the villas, because if you book with the owner and then we aren't allowed to go to Spain, we don't get our money back.
Jet 2 Villas and BA have all the same tower blocks/hotels, as far as I can see.

OP posts:
Please
or

drspouse · 24/01/2022 19:30

Correction - Villa Plus do packages but not Costa Brava.

OP posts:
Please
or

MangosteenSoda · 24/01/2022 19:34

I think booking.com and lastminute.com can make a package although I think you need to double check the cancellation policy as it’s not always the same depending on what you book.

The last one I priced up looked like it would refund the accommodation but not the flights. You need to play around a bit, but it’s good because you can create a package with flats/villas, not just big hotels. My DC has ASD so I’m pretty cautious about where we stay.

I think Tossa de Mar would suit your criteria.

Please
or

MangosteenSoda · 24/01/2022 19:36

…but I’m not sure about transfers. I assume you would need to sort your own transport.

Please
or

shinynewapple22 · 24/01/2022 19:39

We've booked accommodation through VRBO which allows you to cancel on some properties up to two weeks before travel - you can filter the cancellation policies on your search .

Please
or

Nat6999 · 24/01/2022 19:44

We did this for the Costa Blanca, booked an apartment direct with a friend who owns it & then booked our own flights, we saved about £400 by doing it ourselves, because we picked flights that weren't at a popular time of day & flew midweek instead of at the beginning or end of the week.

Please
or

ZenNudist · 24/01/2022 19:49

You need travel counsellors. I'm not a package person but like you am wary with
Post covid travel. My local one is fab. Cost wise they work out reasonable compared to booking it yourself. You can tell them what you want and they will prepare a bespoke package. They were less than Tui for tenerife specific hotels I wanted. My friends all use them and have lots of good reviews.

Please
or

drspouse · 24/01/2022 20:22

@shinynewapple22

We've booked accommodation through VRBO which allows you to cancel on some properties up to two weeks before travel - you can filter the cancellation policies on your search .

That's the problem, if we are stopped from travelling two days before, like France just did, we'll be stuffed.

@MangosteenSoda that's v helpful thanks.
OP posts:
Please
or

justaweeone · 24/01/2022 21:08

Have a look at Solmar villas

Please
or

drspouse · 25/01/2022 09:14

Solmar don't have much in Costa Brava.
Lastminute.com seem to have quite a few, I will have to check on their cancellation policy.

OP posts:
Please
or

drspouse · 25/01/2022 22:07

Ooh I'm confused now.
Lovely villas on lastminute.com
You can book them on their own.
You can book them with a flight from London.
You can book flights from Manchester
But you can't book a package from Manchester!

OP posts:
Please
or

drspouse · 27/01/2022 13:56

OK, this is driving me bananas.
A few villas are available with packages from NW airports but they are all not very nice looking.
Lots of nice villas available with flights from London.
Changing the dates doesn't help, changing the NW airport doesn't help, and they are all also available on their own AND the flights are available.

Also, the refund history from lastminute.com doesn't inspire me!
Same is happening on booking.com as well, and other aggregator sites (Tripadvisor, Loveholidays etc.) only have massive apartment blocks, no villas.

heeelllp!

OP posts:
Please
or

itsgettingweird · 27/01/2022 13:59

I used on the beach to go to Tossa de mar a few years ago. Not a huge resort.

I don't know if they do villas but worth looking at.

If not Expedia and tie age etc can build packages but you are also booing separately with the third parties iyswim?

Please
or

Hoppinggreen · 27/01/2022 14:06

@drspouse

OK, this is driving me bananas.
A few villas are available with packages from NW airports but they are all not very nice looking.
Lots of nice villas available with flights from London.
Changing the dates doesn't help, changing the NW airport doesn't help, and they are all also available on their own AND the flights are available.

Also, the refund history from lastminute.com doesn't inspire me!
Same is happening on booking.com as well, and other aggregator sites (Tripadvisor, Loveholidays etc.) only have massive apartment blocks, no villas.

heeelllp!

Try an independent travel agent.
I have one I use who is absolutely brilliant.
When Covid hit she almost killed herself of working 24hrs to sort everyone out. She will also help with guidelines etc and tell you if they change and help you sort the whole thing out
I have never paid more than the brochure price with her and she sometimes has discounts available too.
I promise it’s not me - I just think she’s great
Happy to give her details in a PM if required
Please
or

drspouse · 27/01/2022 14:38

Good idea Hopping

OP posts:
Please
or