Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

February mini break - mother and daughter

16 replies

Mammyofonlyone · 21/01/2022 21:44

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for somewhere I can take my day daughter (8) for two or maybe three nights in February. I'm not too concerned about climate as we can pack accordingly. I'm just looking for somewhere with something entertaining to do once we get there.

Thanks everyone.

OP posts:
Please
or

Palavah · 21/01/2022 21:55

What kind of things do you enjoy?

Paris? Vienna ? Barcelona? Salzburg? London? Edinburgh? Rome?

Please
or

Mammyofonlyone · 21/01/2022 22:22

Thank you @Palavah.

Just general little girl things really. We've done Edinburgh and London a few times recently and have enjoyed museums, treat lunches that type of thing

OP posts:
Please
or

Fivemoreminutes1 · 22/01/2022 07:20

Birmingham - Cadbury World, National Sealife Centre, Legoland Discovery Centre and Thinktank

Please
or

ringoutthebells · 22/01/2022 07:22

I'd suggest somewhere like Paris or Milan for that age and that length of time. Quick to get to, can go for pizza or pastries etc, familiar landmarks...

Please
or

Mammyofonlyone · 22/01/2022 07:51

Thanks, those are both really great suggestions. I was thinking of Paris as she's only been briefly once.

Birmingham is also a great idea. Not too far to drive from us either. Thank you

OP posts:
Please
or

Algebraicyourleg · 22/01/2022 07:54

What about Stratford? You could catch a show, fo to the butterfly house. I started going with my mum about that age, but check what/if any shows are on first!

Please
or

LiliansView · 22/01/2022 08:03

How about York ? A beautiful city with plenty of museums , lovely restaurants, shops and of course the ghost tours !

Please
or

Mammyofonlyone · 22/01/2022 08:32

@Algebraicyourleg @LiliansView thank you so much but we used to live in York and now we live just outside Stratford!! I agree though, both a really great places for a short break. Lots for children and beautiful town/city for the adults.

OP posts:
Please
or

AmandaHoldensLips · 22/01/2022 08:47

Venice Carnival will be on from 12 Feb. That would be an amazing mum and daughter trip. You can pick up a couple of cloaks and Venetian masks from one of the amazing costume shops and walk around in the evening like pieces of living art (everyone else does!).

Please
or

Mammyofonlyone · 22/01/2022 08:53

@AmandaHoldensLips

Venice Carnival will be on from 12 Feb. That would be an amazing mum and daughter trip. You can pick up a couple of cloaks and Venetian masks from one of the amazing costume shops and walk around in the evening like pieces of living art (everyone else does!).

That sounds fantastic! Thank you
OP posts:
Please
or

AmandaHoldensLips · 22/01/2022 09:32

You're welcome!
(It really is THE most fantastic thing to do in Feb.)

Please
or

LiliansView · 23/01/2022 16:19

@AmandaHoldensLips

What lovely places you live/ have lived in! Enjoy wherever you choose Smile.
Please
or

Moonshine86 · 23/01/2022 16:21

Second Venice carnival!

Please
or

LiliansView · 23/01/2022 16:22

Sorry - quoted the wrong post there; was replying to Stratford/York comment!

Please
or

SpikeySmooth · 23/01/2022 18:15

Agree with Paris! Took my girl a few years ago. We went to Les Galleries Lafayette to see their amazing roof, we went up the Eiffel Tower, and went down into the Catacombs. You can usually find a good market somewhere. My daughter was (still is) into the Gothic so we went to the Pére Lechaise cemetery to the east of the city. Loads of famous people are buried there. We booked a bateau mouche to ride down the Seine. We also took in some museums and went up to the roof of the Norte Dame to see the gargoyles (it burned down just a few days after we went home Confused) (I swear it wasn't me). Also, have apple pie and custard, it's amazing.

Please
or

Nonivknamesforcatapillars · 23/01/2022 18:39

Paris with or without a trip to Disneyland. Amsterdam? With a trip to Anne franks house?

Please
or