Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Recommendations - single mum 2 teenagers

6 replies

KingsArmy · 16/01/2022 15:09

We have not had a holiday for 7 years, I am 40 this year and managed to get 7 days hopefully booked at the end of July.
Feeling totally out of touch about where to go, having not travelled at all extensively throughout my life thus far!
Definitely want activities, sights, culture as well as feeling as safe as poss travelling on my own with the kids. Can anyone recommend any reputable companies to book with or countries to visit?
Also should add I do not have a huge budget, could probably manage 3k

OP posts:
Please
or

NotTheGrinchAgain · 16/01/2022 15:50

I'd stick to mainland Europe, there are pickpockets everywhere but as long as you are sensible it's a good place to go.

Why not try a week in one of the beach resorts near Barcelona? Castelldefels would be ideal for teens (huge beach, family oriented, lots of watersports, plenty of hotels with swimming pools). For culture you are in easy reach of Barcelona and can do all the sights, get great food.

Please
or

PAFMO · 16/01/2022 15:56

I'd go for a package if you're not confident about sorting it all out yourself. The first couple of times I went alone with dd I did that. Tui is my failsafe, though I've heard good things about Jet2.

We did package weeks to Menorca and to Alvor in Portugal. Both absolutely lovely, well looked after, lots to do for day trips and cheap to eat out. Portugal probably more to do. All the package tour companies are on their knees at the moment so throwing offers left right and centre.

Please
or

Popetthetreehugger · 16/01/2022 16:03

I used to take my then teenage son on Nielsen holidays , they were perfect . It’s a safe place , so you can relax if they are out of your sight for a moment. They can eat what and when they like and lots to do . Enjoy 😎

Please
or

KingsArmy · 16/01/2022 16:48

Thanks all for these suggestions - I will have a google of these companies and locations.

OP posts:
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 16/01/2022 19:17

Barcelona would be fabulous. Booking.com for apartments - maybe look for one with a plunge pool. Do the free walking tours. Cable car. Montjuic and the fun fair. The light up fountains. Lots of tapas. Beach. Olympic park.

Please
or

Redtartanshoes · 17/01/2022 20:06

Alvor is beautiful.

Turkey is excellent value for money and loads fir teens to do.

Agree Barcelona, also
Nerja is beautiful and less touristy

Please
or