Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How long did your passport take to arrive?

17 replies

thiccapricot · 13/01/2022 21:43

Just that really!

Lost my passport so need to renew asap. My birthday is on Valentine's Day & my partner wants to take me away which is lovely (being born on Valentine's Day is awful though - chances for a budget getaway are 0!)

Anyway I know it's a 4 week wait - just wondering if anyones ordered recently and had it sooner / later than 4 weeks?

Ta Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

Thepowerofthelook · 13/01/2022 21:50

I've ordered 4 in last month (awaiting final one to return) however all so far have taken less than two weeks (even over Christmas) was very surprised.

Please
or

Chocrock · 13/01/2022 21:51

Mine took 1 week in December. It was a straightforward renewal.

Please
or

tryingtorun · 13/01/2022 21:53

Mine came back within 10 days but that was a straight forward renewal

Please
or

Reflections2021 · 13/01/2022 22:03

Just came on to ask the same question! Have done online renewals, and have 4 weeks was wondering if I should find out how to cancel and do the one week service. So confused and don’t know what to do! Not even sure I can cancel the online application to do so Confused.

Last time it took just a couple of days on the normal service pre pandemic and pre Brexit.

Know someone who sent an application off this week and got a text that advising late March, is this standard ? @Chocrock where you notified months even though it took just a couple of weeks?

Please
or

Newnormal99 · 13/01/2022 22:05

I posted 2 child renewS the Monday before Xmas. One was approved 29th - it was first tried for delivery New Year's Eve I think but TNT were dreadful and kept not even attempting to deliver it and it didn't arrive until yesterday. The other was a different office and was delivered last week.

Please
or

Lovelymincepies · 13/01/2022 22:05

Did online thing on 28th December, they received passports (according to email) on the 4th January and the new ones were sent the next day. Had them a couple of days later.

Please
or

thiccapricot · 13/01/2022 22:57

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like I should be OK for the standard 4 week service...although @Reflections2021 that does sound a little concerning! I don't know if you can cancel the applications once they're sent off?

OP posts:
Please
or

Porthia · 13/01/2022 22:59

I sent off DD’s application last week. Just got a text today to say it has been printed and will be delivered in the next few days! We have a holiday booked at Easter so I’m quite relieved as I had heard people waiting ages last year!

Please
or

Reflections2021 · 13/01/2022 23:26

I’m wondering if it matters what passport office they went to, whether some have quicker turnaround than others?

Please
or

Flippydip · 14/01/2022 09:06

I'm hoping mine won't take too long as I need to renew mine before applying for DSs first passport and we travel in 2 months. I believe it's easier if I can include my passport no. on his application. I applied Monday, they received my documents Wednesday and the tracker still tells me to send my documents. I'm keeping a close eye on it! I assume it might take a little while to update.

Please
or

Chocrock · 14/01/2022 11:03

@Reflections2021 when I applied the website said they were taking up to 12 weeks I don’t think I received a message giving an estimated time. My son applied at the same time for his first adult passport and his took 2 weeks.

Please
or

Reflections2021 · 14/01/2022 13:26

The person who was advised it would be returned in March got a text today saying it would be back in a few days. So in reality will have taken less than 2 weeks. However I’ve panicked, before they go the text this morning, and booked an appointment to get it done in a week. I’m hoping I can by some miracle get a refund on the normal service but not sure. As I’ve not sent off the old passport the passport advice line said I had this option. This is so annoying as they’ve got months left on their passport and if it weren’t for Brexit, wouldn’t even be having this issue. Plus, now spent a fortune on passport services having paid for the fast track and regular service.

Please
or

Porthia · 14/01/2022 14:11

Further to my post yesterday - DD’s passport arrived this morning! So almost exactly one week from when I sent her old one off!

Please
or

Flippydip · 14/01/2022 14:38

Did anyone here find that the tracking took a while to update from 'send us your documents' after the documents had been delivered? I'm just wondering how soon it might acknowledge that they've received them (Royal Mail tells me that they have).

Please
or

Rollerbird · 14/01/2022 14:46

Although Royal mail tracking can confirm that the docs have been delivered, it will still take time for them to be scanned onto the system

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 14/01/2022 15:06

We applied kate October, took about 4 weeks total from the Countersignatory confirming ID.

Took 5/6 days from old passports being recieved to the post office updating @Flippydip. (Two passports through different offices!)

Please
or

Glittertwins · 14/01/2022 15:29

Did two renewals online on NYE. One went to Bootle, the other Peterborough. Despite sending the old ones off first class, they took over a week to arrive however once they'd got there, Peterborough were very fast - turned around and delivered back inside 3 days.
Had to redo the photo for the other one which was done last night. Text this morning saying it was approved followed by a second one 3 hours later saying it had been printed and sent for delivery.

Please
or