Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

How quick are results for day 2 PCR tests?

17 replies

Dragontrainer · 29/11/2021 09:07

Ok, I’m trying to get my head around the new regime for arriving in the UK from overseas, but failing to get to the bottom of the timescales involved! I’m basically hoping to avoid having to choose between cancelling a family Christmas Day and our planned pre-Christmas trip to Norway!! (And I do get that the Norwegian government may well make that decision for me)

I think no one currently knows if the day 2 test has to be taken on day 2, or can be taken on the day you get back. I assume this will need to be communicated to the public during the course of today as the new standards kick in tomorrow!

My next question is whether I can pay for same day results for the day 2 PCR. I’ve seen some reference to it taking up to 48 hours for the results of a day 2 PCR as they are more intensively analysed than the “fit to fly” tests. Does any kind soul know if this is right - or can I solve my problem by paying whatever ridiculous fee is required for guaranteed same day results? (If it makes any difference the adults are double jabbed but the teens have only the one dose allowed in the UK).

Thanks to anyone with any wisdom on this matter!

OP posts:
Please
or

Mamamia35 · 29/11/2021 09:56

I'm in Scotland, the gov.scot site says take the test on or before day 2 so you can take it the day you get back.

The processing time will vary as it will depend how busy the lab is. I used Testing For All last month. Posted the test back on Thu night and got the result by email on Sat.

Please
or

TooWicked · 29/11/2021 10:00

For us and our plans, I’m assuming processing time may be delayed slightly as all covid positives will then be tested for which variant - although I’m not exactly sure that’s how it works.

Who knows, I’m sure all will be confirmed, but not for a couple of days.

Please
or

percythewitch · 29/11/2021 10:55

You can take the test on or before day 2

The speed of results depend on which company you have used for the test.

Some people on our travel FB page have never had results back at all.

When we tested the last time we went to the UK, we received our results 24 hours after we had flown home.

Go figure.

Please
or

Nateismine · 29/11/2021 11:57

At Heathrow you can pay for a PCR test and get the results within 3 hours.

Please
or

Dragontrainer · 29/11/2021 13:31

Thanks all; your advice is much appreciated.

@Nateismine ooh, which company is that? All the ones I can find say they can’t guarantee the results in less than 48 hours. We fly into Heathrow so results in 3 hours from a walk in would be perfect!!

OP posts:
Please
or

Nateismine · 29/11/2021 13:41

Express Test
Cignpost
Terminal 1 and 5

Please
or

Dragontrainer · 29/11/2021 13:54

@Nateismine Thank you so much - you may just have saved our plans!

OP posts:
Please
or

ajandjjmum · 29/11/2021 13:56

@Dragontrainer

Thanks all; your advice is much appreciated.

*@Nateismine* ooh, which company is that? All the ones I can find say they can’t guarantee the results in less than 48 hours. We fly into Heathrow so results in 3 hours from a walk in would be perfect!!

Having spent most of the night researching this (DS arrives from Australia at 6 am on Friday), we have booked a PCR test for midday on that day. The results will be with him before midnight.

The only way we could do this was to go to the centre for the test, and to pay extra for the quick turnround.

Good luck!
Please
or

Nateismine · 29/11/2021 13:58

[quote Dragontrainer]@Nateismine Thank you so much - you may just have saved our plans![/quote]
Spent all last night trying to save our holiday!
Terminal 2 and 5

Please
or

Cantstandsmugness · 29/11/2021 17:41

Does anyone know if there is somewhere at Gatwick for fast pcr turnaround or Hertfordshire or Essex. Arriving Saturday at 18.00 need result at the end of Sunday to be able to go to work!? Thank you

Please
or

LaMadrilena · 29/11/2021 18:25

I've got this problem too. I'm supposed to be going back to the UK for a weekend Fri-Sun, with an event on the Sat. I've booked a fit to fly PCR with 3 hour results on the Fri afternoon, but now I'm suspecting it won't be valid as a day 2 test. If anyone can clear that up, I'd be grateful!

The company I've booked the 3 hour test with is Dam Health, if any wants to take a look. Seems suspiciously cheap to me (89€) for the 3 hour turnaround...

I'm starting to think I won't be going anywhere...

Please
or

Dragontrainer · 30/11/2021 07:03

@CantstandsmugnessThe Exoress Test company nateismine referred to above has a site at the Galleria in Hatfield if you’re that side of Hertfordshire.

OP posts:
Please
or

Cantstandsmugness · 30/11/2021 08:30

Thank you @dragontrainer this would have been ideal however looking at their site I cannot get the three hour one there only the 24 hour one, i guess they are full to capacity for those 😩

Please
or

Snailhaterz2 · 01/12/2021 11:29

I've just used London Medical Laboratory, who have an office about 5 minutes from Kings Cross/St Pancras. I went in at 7-ish last night, and their results came through at 5.45 am this morning. Handy for Eurostar, but also for anyone planning to travel into/via London. £60.

Please
or

PurpleFlower1983 · 01/12/2021 21:50

@LaMadrilena

I've got this problem too. I'm supposed to be going back to the UK for a weekend Fri-Sun, with an event on the Sat. I've booked a fit to fly PCR with 3 hour results on the Fri afternoon, but now I'm suspecting it won't be valid as a day 2 test. If anyone can clear that up, I'd be grateful!

The company I've booked the 3 hour test with is Dam Health, if any wants to take a look. Seems suspiciously cheap to me (89€) for the 3 hour turnaround...

I'm starting to think I won't be going anywhere...

Dam Health don’t do a 3 hour turn around day 2 test, the say results within 24 hours. You can change the type of test if you call them.
Please
or

Holidaytime86 · 01/12/2021 22:04

Does anyone know of a test centre in Sheffield that has PCR tests with a quick turnaround?

Please
or

littleone7 · 04/12/2021 00:23

@Holidaytime86

Does anyone know of a test centre in Sheffield that has PCR tests with a quick turnaround?

I'm not sure where you are in Sheffield but Totley Pharmacy offers same day results and is a competitive price compared to other same day ones.
Please
or