Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Amsterdam in January? To cancel or not?

7 replies

fabfeb · 28/11/2021 09:43

We had accommodation booked for a long weekend in early January. Time has come for us to think about buying flights.

Given the current changed situation, would you go ahead with this or should we cancel?

OP posts:
Please
or

dabbydeedoo · 28/11/2021 10:23

I wouldn't buy new flights right now. I'm moving my Spain holiday to January but only because I'm not going today and can't get my money back, only a free change. I'm fully expecting to have to move it again.

Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 28/11/2021 12:12

I wouldn't buy flights to NL now - they are currently under lockdown light. Who knows what will happen in the coming weeks. I would cancel and not risk more cash.

Please
or

fabfeb · 28/11/2021 13:59

We've cancelled. No charge on accommodation as free cancellation until January. Could have waited but thought it better for the hosts that we cancel sooner rather than later.

Oh well, it was a nice fantasy whilst it lasted

OP posts:
Please
or

WhenSepEnds · 28/11/2021 14:13

@fabfeb

We've cancelled. No charge on accommodation as free cancellation until January. Could have waited but thought it better for the hosts that we cancel sooner rather than later.

Sorry you had to cancel. Hope you get away soon and it's worth the wait
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 28/11/2021 15:02

It's so disappointing - really hope things will change for the better in the NY.

Please
or

dabbydeedoo · 28/11/2021 15:09

@fabfeb

As weird as it sounds, I've found it helpful to have things to look forward to, even if they get cancelled. The booking, planning, etc. really helps my mental health.
Please
or

MissAmbrosia · 28/11/2021 15:14

I agree. It's lovely to have something cheery to think about. I'm desperate to get back to the UK but they change the rules every 5 mins and I don't want to risk being stuck in isolation during much needed holiday and paying a fortune for all the tests.

Please
or