Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport renewal stuck - can I claim it as lost?

13 replies

runninggirl19 · 15/11/2021 09:10

I have my DD’s passport stuck in passport renewal…no sign of it being processed and I’m getting increasingly concerned that the holiday we have booked at Christmas will have to be scrapped. I am an idiot as I didn’t realise it could be fast tracked- but has anyone succeeded in putting in a “passport lost” application? If I hadn’t put in for a renewal and had simply lost the passport, I could have got it back in a much quicker time….not sure if it’s worth the faff of doing this…any advice greatly appreciated

OP posts:
Please
or

shggg245 · 15/11/2021 09:18

Hi op you should be able to submit barcode and request an update. Luckily ours came through but took about 11 weeks. Still waiting for driving licence application submitted same day. There's also a number you can call. Good luck - it's a nightmare.

Please
or

runninggirl19 · 15/11/2021 11:53

Thanks @shggg245 - update just doesn't show anything apart from docs received - arrghh! Would've been easier to have lost the passport

OP posts:
Please
or

minipie · 15/11/2021 11:56

How can you claim it’s been lost if you’ve sent it in for renewal? Surely they will know you are lying if you’ve sent them the old passport? Or don’t you need to send in the old one these days.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 15/11/2021 11:59

I don't see how a lost one would have come back any faster. You'd still have to do a full application and get photos countersigned.

How long has it been since the application was started?

Please
or

dementedpixie · 15/11/2021 12:00

@minipie

How can you claim it’s been lost if you’ve sent it in for renewal? Surely they will know you are lying if you’ve sent them the old passport? Or don’t you need to send in the old one these days.

Yes you still send them the old passport and it gets sent back with a corner cut off
Please
or

dementedpixie · 15/11/2021 12:01

Please
or

bookgirl1982 · 15/11/2021 12:02

How long has it been since docs received? Has your countersignatory been contacted?

We waited three weeks between docs received and the new passport being sent. Much longer than previous applications.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 15/11/2021 12:11

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-passport-office/about-our-services

This says a typical child renewal is taking 6 weeks. Paper applications may take longer. Same timescale for lost passports too

Please
or

dementedpixie · 15/11/2021 12:12

It does say to allow up to 10 weeks though

Please
or

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat · 15/11/2021 12:18

When did you apply?

Please
or

DoThePropeller · 15/11/2021 12:18

Ours took 9 weeks - we got it back the week before half term. From memory, you can’t do anything really once it’s in the system, you can only chase after 10 weeks I think.

Please
or

SirensofTitan · 15/11/2021 12:29

Unless there is an option for lost by the passport office how is that going to work? They know they have old passport, you'll look like a passport criminal.

Please
or

Aposterhasnoname · 15/11/2021 12:52

Just got ours back last week. Took four weeks. The tracking said docs received for three weeks, then it suddenly changed to approved, then sent, and they arrived the following day.

Please
or