Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

First baby holiday - so nervous - tips please!

10 replies

Jaynie89 · 13/10/2021 21:30

Just booked a holiday in the algarve early November with DH and 10 month old DS. I’m really nervous - not sure why! feels a lot to think about.

We have a coach transfer - should I take a car seat?! This is the only time we will be in a vehicle as we are all inclusive and will just potter about near the hotel.

Should I get a stroller or take my icandy pram with me? Scared the airline may damage it 😳

Will my baby be ok out of routine? We do bath book bed every night at the same time so will be totally new for him to be being dragged out to dinner and sleeping in his buggy…..

Any tips welcome 🙏🏼

OP posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 14/10/2021 05:07

Yes, get a lightweight cheap (second hand?) stroller.
You don’t have to take a car seat. In the past I’ve been allowed to hold DC on my lap on the coach.
Regarding the routine, or lack of…. It really depends on the baby. All children are different. Some thrive on routine. Others are so chilled out that they’ll go to sleep wherever whenever. Just try to provide as much familiarity as possible.

Please
or

Lovesicecreams · 14/10/2021 05:17

I’m sure you’re on this op but make sure your expectations are realistic - you will have an amazing time but don’t do what I did and subconsciously think it will be like a holiday before babies!! I had sort of forgotten there would be no long lies in, we couldn’t spend all day lying on the beach on a lounger and there would be no going out at night to fancy bars and restaurants!

Now I’ve got my head round that I really enjoy holidays post babies but I wish I had taken just ten minutes to really think that through before we went.

I would say have a distractions bag for travel delay with way more stuff than you think you will need - toys etc, Fully charged phone and any music
/little baby cartoons/apps that distract

My kids are all sensitive and their sleep was off the first few days on holiday. Yours may be totally fine, but I think it helps to know that can happen so it isn’t a stress.

Please
or

linerforlife · 14/10/2021 05:49

I have just been on holiday with my one year old to the algarve. Yes to stroller. Car seat is up to you ... taxis don't have them but will let you put baby on your lap. It's illegal but no one seems to blink an eye lid. Are you in a hotel or villa?

Please
or

bert3400 · 14/10/2021 06:00

Definitely a pushchair, one that lays flat so your baby can sleep in the evening and you can have some adult conversation instead of shutting yourself in the room from your baby's bedtime. Remember the Med is very child friendly so everyone will be out in the evening with the families. Take layers as it will be chilly in the evening but that shouldn't stop you heading out in the evening. We took our 10month to Barcelona, many years ago. We had a great routine in the evenings of feeding, bath then in PJ'S ready for our evening stroll. He was asleep within 20 mins and off to dinner we went. We actually had a very relaxing time and went to some great restaurants.

Please
or

Whereland · 14/10/2021 07:21

It really depends on your baby. Some will happily sleep in the stroller in the evening then transfer to bed- mine didn't so we had to just stick with our bedtime routine and eat takeaway on our balcony. Once we resigned ourselves to that it was a lot less stressful!
And yea to realising that it won't be a restful holiday per say, just a nice change of scenery..

Please
or

Geamhradh · 16/10/2021 08:00

Take a cheap pushchair.
Forget any idea of routine. You might be able to stick to it, but don't go with the express idea of trying to.
Have a lovely time.

Please
or

Pompom2367 · 16/10/2021 08:02

I am following op as our baby will be 6 months when we go abroad

Please
or

PotteringAlong · 16/10/2021 08:03

Cheap stroller pushchair
Lower your expectations!

It will be fine!

Please
or

sqirrelfriends · 16/10/2021 08:20

You will need a stroller, I advise a cheap one.

We always took a car seat, the airline should let you send it for free. We never noticed any other parents doing this though.

Please
or

Youvegotafriendinme · 16/10/2021 08:28

I’m taking my DD to Spain in November and she’ll be 9 months. Took DS to Florida when he was 11 months. Take a cheap stroller but one that lays flat so baby can sleep. We are taking DDs car seat as we plan to hire a car but when I called our travel agent and enquired about the coach transfer vs hiring a taxi. She said, because she didn’t have a seat on the plane, they couldn’t guarantee a seat on the coach for the car seat and she would have to sit on our lap. Maybe ask your travel agent then you can decide if taking the car seat is what you want to do.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?