Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Cheap and cheerful hotel in New York?

12 replies

Happydaze2 · 09/10/2021 18:42

Student daughter and friends are looking for a 3-night stay at a hotel in Manhattan which we do realise is going to be pricey anyway - but if anyone can recommend a budget hotel that is clean and safe (!) we’d be grateful to hear about it Smile

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 09/10/2021 19:46

Do they have a budget per night in mind?. When are they hoping to travel there?.

The US is still not open to international travellers from the UK and Europe as yet and there is still no firm date from the US government re opening.

If finances did permit I would try and go for longer than 3 nights too due to distance.

Please
or

joangray38 · 09/10/2021 19:52

Not the hotel Pennsylvania - I stayed there several years ago think the shining on weed. Feet stuck to the floor, fleas as the hotel is used for a dog show, damp, connecting door to another room half smashed in, could book by the hour and in a really rough area which has apparently recently got worse - homeless people harassing you etc.

Please
or

pontiouspilates · 09/10/2021 20:00

The Washington Square hotel was good. Not expensive, clean and good location.

Please
or

Happydaze2 · 09/10/2021 20:04

They are going early December and travelling from uni in Canada

OP posts:
Please
or

Embracelife · 09/10/2021 20:08

Why don't they look at hostels? They could get a private quad room fir example
www.hiusa.org/find-hostels/new-york/new-york-891-amsterdam-ave

Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 09/10/2021 20:09

HI New York City Hostel

Please
or

MarthaJonesPhone · 09/10/2021 20:11

I second Washington Square Hotel. I've stayed there a couple of times. I like the location.

Please
or

TheCanyon · 09/10/2021 20:14

Look on booking, can see scores and reviews. Plenty hostels around there that are at least half the price of hotels.

Please
or

NotMaryWhitehouse · 09/10/2021 20:26

@joangray38

Not the hotel Pennsylvania - I stayed there several years ago think the shining on weed. Feet stuck to the floor, fleas as the hotel is used for a dog show, damp, connecting door to another room half smashed in, could book by the hour and in a really rough area which has apparently recently got worse - homeless people harassing you etc.

We stayed there once, it was without doubt the worst hotel I have EVER stayed in!

We moved rooms four times......
Please
or

MrsCat1 · 09/10/2021 20:54

Another vote for the Washington Square Hotel. Great location, nice hotel. Rooms are small but that's NY.

Please
or

Yerra · 11/10/2021 12:06

I have stayed in this hotel (it has been 7 years) and while some floors are in need of a serious overhaul (hostel like), other floors have been done up. The area is on 7th Avenue and practically alongside Macys flagship store. The area is very very central and great IMHO. We usually stay in the hotel near it called The Steward now.

Please
or

JorisBonson · 11/10/2021 12:08

The Carlton Arms is amazing, every room is decorated by different local artists and it has a really cool vibe. Not expensive either.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?