Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Orlando Christmas dinner

16 replies

NeedAHoliday2021 · 03/10/2021 14:34

It looks like our rescheduled Orlando trip might actually happen 3rd time lucky. 9 of us going over Christmas and staying in a universal hotel on international drive.

Please can anyone recommend a great place to eat on Christmas Eve and most importantly Christmas Day (in the evening)? Not expecting Turkey but just a lovely or fun place to dine that we can book in advance.

OP posts:
Please
or

AttilaTheMeerkat · 03/10/2021 15:46

What sort of food and ideal budget per person?. Any vegetarians?.

Christmas Eve won’t be so much an issue but Christmas Day in the evening could be because a lot of restaurants tend to close early.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 03/10/2021 17:38

All be restaurants we’ve checked are open evenings but many are fully booked. We’re not thinking overly fancy as it involves dc and fussy adults so Hard Rock Café kind of budget/food options. No veggies. It’s for 9 people (Hard rock fully booked or we would have played safe with that).

OP posts:
Please
or

BritWifeInUSA · 04/10/2021 04:15

Good luck. Christmas is nowhere near as big here as it is in the UK. It’s a total anti-climax. So much goes into Thanksgiving in November that Christmas is just a side-show, most people only get one day off work. It’s just like a Sunday but with a few presents.

Ham is traditionally eaten but I doubt there will be many good restaurants open, probably just the usual fast-food suspects like Denny’s.

Don’t come with high expectations of Christmas here. It’s a real disappointment compared to the UK.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 04/10/2021 08:28

@BritWifeInUSA I have family in America so I know this but it’s big enough that restaurants are fully booked. We plan to spend the day at universal Islands of Adventure (we’ve been twice before but pre the Harry Potter section and pre dc). Just wanted a nice restaurant confirmed to remove the stress and know we have a plan.

OP posts:
Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 04/10/2021 08:29

All the restaurants in Orlando appear to be fully open?

OP posts:
Please
or

ssd · 04/10/2021 08:31

Its a long time since ive seen Orlando in a thread title so thank you @NeedAHoliday2021 Grin

Hope you find somewhere fab and have a good time

Please
or

ssd · 04/10/2021 08:32

Id put this in chat, incase you get more replies ?

Please
or

JingsMahBucket · 04/10/2021 08:36

@NeedAHoliday2021 check the Chinese restaurants. It’s a Jewish tradition to eat Chinese food on Christmas. There will likely be a lot of good restaurants open and taking bookings.

Please
or

dunkaccino · 04/10/2021 08:37

Where are you staying? Would something on City Walk be easy with kids? There's a nice Mexican, or Bubba Gumps.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 04/10/2021 08:43

@dunkaccino I’m eyeing up the Mexican on city walk and planning a Chinese but those will be meals without inlaws (they don’t like spicey or “different” food). We’re staying by Volcano Bay.

OP posts:
Please
or

MarshmallowsOnToast · 04/10/2021 10:05

I know a lot of people have been to the Gaylord Palms resort for Xmas dinner as it's decorated beautifully for Xmas.

They usually have the "Ice" Christmas sculpture exhibit (but no idea if that's on this year) and then on to the lovely Villa de Flora restaurant for the Christmas buffet.

Other than that I think I'd quite quite fancy the Melting Pot posh fondue restaurant if it were me.

Please
or

MarshmallowsOnToast · 04/10/2021 10:07

Oh just seen you said not too fancy.

The food at NBC grill on Citywalk is great! Much better than you'd expect from a theme restaurant.

Please
or

NeedAHoliday2021 · 04/10/2021 23:28

@MarshmallowsOnToast I like the look of the fondue place (dh, dc and I plan to have some meals without in laws so I’ll put that on the list).

OP posts:
Please
or

MarshmallowsOnToast · 05/10/2021 07:23

[quote NeedAHoliday2021]@MarshmallowsOnToast I like the look of the fondue place (dh, dc and I plan to have some meals without in laws so I’ll put that on the list).[/quote]
Enjoy. I'm so jealous!!! Envy lol x

Please
or

sumaiya9 · 05/10/2021 07:28

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

Poppins17 · 05/10/2021 21:23

Not necessarily for Christmas dinner, but I’d highly recommend Longhorns, Manny’s and for the best burgers Teak Neighbourhood Grill

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?