Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Parc Asterix

10 replies

Idontwantaname · 30/09/2021 23:18

Hello, anyone been here? Is it fun/good? I was thinking of going for a day trip while we are staying nearby, with a 9yr old boy. We’ve got v basic (long time ago o-level) French language ability.
Please advise?
X

OP posts:
Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 30/09/2021 23:23

It's years since we went, but it's brilliant. My three boys were around that age when we went and they loved it. We went to Disneyland that holiday as well and we all preferred Parc Asterix.

It's very French, you'll see much fewer other nationalities than you do at Disneyland. The food is better! You can enjoy it without much French, so don't worry about that.

It's based on the Asterix books, so a familiarity with the characters and stories before you go would help you make the most of it.

Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 01/10/2021 06:33

We went back in 2016 and Astérix it really feels like you’re in France. When you go to Disneyland, you feel like you’re in nondescript land of America and you feel a little like cattle being put through the feeding stations. But we didn’t feel any of that at Astérix. It is, however, geared up to a mostly French audience. If you’re not a fan of Astérix or if none of your party are, then the enjoyment of it is slightly diminished.
As PP said, food is pretty good value for a theme park, but you can take a picnic (unlike Disneyland).

Please
or

InvincibleInvisibility · 01/10/2021 06:47

We love it.
Can take food/drink in.
Have to pay for parking but that is standard. Can also get there by coach from Paris.

There is now an app to download that you can book places/time slot on a ride (only 1 at a time though so we book our next big ride then go on the smaller ones whilst waiting ). Avoids queuing too much.

At the moment you need to book your date of visit in advance.

Please
or

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats · 01/10/2021 07:04

Haven't been for years - but when we used to go it was far better than Disneyland. It just felt more French & less commercial. The wooden roller coaster is epic Grin

Please
or

InvincibleInvisibility · 01/10/2021 07:22

By the way, for the major rides you MUST book a time slot. Cant just queue

Please
or

TrampolineForMrKite · 01/10/2021 07:32

Another one who’s not been for years, but I remember enjoying it and liking that it was properly French, a bit quirky and eccentric and you felt like you were experiencing something different.

Please
or

ATieLikeRichardGere · 01/10/2021 08:57

Saying it’s better than Disneyland is incorrect imho, but I nonetheless really enjoyed Parc Asterix back in 2004 and would recommend! Another shout out the weird wooden roller coaster. And the pirate ship. As long as you can shout oh la la at the top of the coasters then you will have enough French.

Please
or

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats · 01/10/2021 09:43

Saying it’s better than Disneyland is incorrect imho

Apologies - to be more precise - all our family prefered it to Disneyland. Other opinions are available Grin

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 01/10/2021 19:34

Oh gosh yes, the wooden roller coaster! I've got a fridge magnet with a great picture of my two oldest DC on that Grin

Please
or

Idontwantaname · 01/10/2021 19:40

Thanks everyone, we will definitely go now!

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?