Mumsnet Logo
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Passport after brexit - Cyprus

6 replies

moveblues · 21/09/2021 20:45

Hi all
I'm thinking of going on holiday to Cyprus early November. My passport expires in July 2022 but was issued in March 2012.

The guidance suggests that a clear 6 months is needed on passports and there is implication that the date of issue also affects validity of the passport (ie if renewed early, the extra months - March to July in my case, may not count!)

What to do? Has anyone been in this situation? I can get a new passport but no guarantee it would arrive in time!!

OP posts:
Please
or

follygirl · 21/09/2021 20:49

Your passport expires in March 2022. The EU only consider 10 years after the issue date not the add-ons that the UK government used to do.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 21/09/2021 20:51

If it was issued March 2012 then it expires March 2022. Its 3 months validity you usually require from the date you are leaving Cyprus, not 6 months.

Make sure your passport is

• valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave Cyprus
  • less than 10 years old

The 3 months you need when leaving a country must be within 10 years of the passport issue date.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum 3 months needed.

If you’re travelling to the north of Cyprus, their administration advises that your passport should be valid for at least 6 months from your date of entry to the north.
Please
or

minipie · 21/09/2021 20:52

Yes agree you should regard it as expiring March 2022 for EU travel.

Some countries require 6 months validity left (in which case yes you wouldn’t have enough) but quite a few only require 3. Not sure what Cyprus needs

Please
or

minipie · 21/09/2021 20:55

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/cyprus/entry-requirements

Looking here under passport requirements, it says your passport needs to be valid for 3 months from the day you leave Cyprus. So I think you’re ok.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 21/09/2021 20:57

3 months validity needed

Passport after brexit - Cyprus
Please
or

moveblues · 21/09/2021 22:59

@moveblues

Hi all
I'm thinking of going on holiday to Cyprus early November. My passport expires in July 2022 but was issued in March 2012.

The guidance suggests that a clear 6 months is needed on passports and there is implication that the date of issue also affects validity of the passport (ie if renewed early, the extra months - March to July in my case, may not count!)

What to do? Has anyone been in this situation? I can get a new passport but no guarantee it would arrive in time!!

Thank you!! ☺️
OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?